Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Aug 17, 2015, 11:05 AM
    Why graph curves after yield point in stress-strain graph.
    I understand these things:
    Stress is the internal force that neighbouring particles exert on one another.

Strain is a measure of deformation of an object. Strain equals extension÷original length.

Are they right?

And also I don't get why strain reduces after the yield point. My point is, if an excess of force is being applied after yield point, how is the material providing the extra opposite force?

Hope I am clear about the question. Someone please make me clear about the answer too.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 17, 2015, 11:37 AM
    Your definitions are OK. But the premise behind this question is incorrect:

Quote Originally Posted by yusf
    I don't get why strain reduces after the yield point. My point is, if an excess of force is being applied after yield point, how is the material providing the extra opposite force?
    Once enough stress has been applied for the material to reach its yield point, the strain increases at a higher rate (i.e., the slope of the stress-strain curve decreases), because less additional force is required per unit of additional strain. Given:

where = stress, = strain, and E = Young's Modulus, you can see that as E decreases past the yield point then increasing strain requires smaller amounts of additional stress..
    kreysiz Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2015, 12:00 AM
    The graph curves after the yield point because, it no longer follows the Hooke's Law after the yield point.
    Hooke's Law states that " stress is directly proportional to strain".

Aug 18, 2015, 09:33 AM
    no I don't understand.

The graph curves (stress on y axis and attain on x axis) meaning that the gradient has decreased. So a smaller change in stress occurs over a larger change in stress. So rate of change of stress decreases, that what I understand.

And will it be right to say that a smaller stress is required to make a higher strain, so the graph curves down. (after the yield point)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yusf View Post
    So a smaller change in stress occurs over a larger change in stress.
    I think you mean: "So a smaller change in stress occurs over a larger change in strain."

Quote Originally Posted by Yusf
    So rate of change of stress decreases, that what I understand.
    Correct. As noted previosuly, the material gets a bit weaker, so the value for Young's Modulus "E" decreases, and the slope of the stress-strain curve decreases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yusf
    And will it be right to say that a smaller stress is required to make a higher strain, so the graph curves down. (after the yield point)
    For many materials that's indeed what happens. After the yield point the slope decreases, but is still positve. But as the material is stretched more and more it reaches a point of ultimate tensile stress, where the slope becomes negative. At this point the material starts to neck down, and less stress is needed to make it continue stretching. Finally you reach the fracture point.

Aug 18, 2015, 03:15 PM
    Fully understood! Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shortest distance from graph of 5+3x-2x^2 to point 2,1 [ 2 Answers ]

I understand how to find the equation of a tangent and a normal line at a given point by using the first derivative, and I know how to find the distance from x,y to 2,1 using the distance formula, but I don't see how to put it together. The book says: Use the distance formula ^2 = + ^2 and...

How to convert displacement vs time graph to FFT graph [ 3 Answers ]

Please refer to the attachment... Thanks...

Use the parent graph of f(x)= 1/x to graph the equation f(x)= -(4/x-2)+4 [ 6 Answers ]

Describe the transformations that have taken place and identify the new locations of the asymptotes.

Graph, point coordinates [ 3 Answers ]

I have this problem and I don't know how to work it out : A graph is given with two lines and each have two points marked on them. Line A - (1,4) and (2,8) Line B - (5,2) and (5,6) the question is: If line A and line B were produced, they would meet at a point N. Determine the...

Find the instantaneous velocity of a point in the graph. [ 1 Answers ]

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad115/dportal2006/scan0001.jpg This link has the exact graph that relates to my question. I have tried answering the question however, the formula that is provided in my book for instantaneous velocity is change of V/change of t as the limit of t approaches...

View more questions Search