Ask
    KathleenTexas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2015, 04:49 PM
    Plumbing Leak
    Is my problem likely to be the water line into the dishwasher or the
    Dishwasher itself?

When not in use the dishwasher fills & this week overfilled. Never did that
    Before but there is always standing water in the dishwasher it just never
    Overfilled before. Is it more likely to be the water line to or from dishwasher
    Than the appliance itself?

My father has a vacant (on the market) condo in FL. About a week ago the downstairs neighbor noticed a leak in her condo.
    They used the key I left with a neighbor to go in & check my condo & when they went in they found water soaked carpet in the entry hallway & mostly in the kitchen. When they opened the dishwasher they found standing water that (supposedly) had overfilled the dishwasher & created enough water to run out into front entryway.They cleaned up the water. The plumber came & said that the main cut off valve to the unit had malfunctioned & there was no leak there. The dishwasher was in the off position but since that was where the most water was the dishwasher was disconnected.
    The main water valve was replaced & is now in the off position.My question is has a dishwasher in the off position ever drawn this amount of water?And wouldn't the dishwasher still stop at overflow?My neighbor did say that the water was clean water,not waste water.This has cost 1,000.00 for a huge water cleanup.Is it more likely that the dishwasher overfilling to this extent is due to the water line in or out of dishwasher rather than the dishwasher itself since water will tend to fill & stand in dishwasher while not in use.No one has stayed or lived in said condo for 2 years.I do not wish to replace dishwasher & then find out the problem was with the pipes or lines instead.There has been cabinet damage of course & the water had covered the kitchen floor, drained out & soaked the hallway & lots of standing water into the living room. Is the problem really likely to be limited to the dishwasher?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 16, 2015, 04:53 PM
    Hi Kathleen

Are there any condos above this unit?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 16, 2015, 07:09 PM
    Sounds to me the fill solenoid valve is not closing completely when it is powered off. You need to call an appliance guy, not a plumber. Sears services all brands so you could try them. For now close the main to the unit.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2015, 05:03 PM
    If you have o leakage with the supply valve shut off then Ballenger is correct this is an appliance problem and not a plumbing problem. Please keep us informed of any further events. Good Luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing leak [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We live in south coast British Columbia, Canada (moderate climate) in an older (1955) one level, flat roof 900 sq. Foot house on a concrete pad. All of our water pipes have been installed under (or in) the concrete.. . And we have a leak, somewhere in the SUPPLy lines. We hear running water...

Plumbing leak avoidance [ 4 Answers ]

How do I ensure that a brass to brass plumbing fitting will not leak? We've tried teflon tape and it doesn't work.

Plumbing leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a leak in my bathroom coming from under the carpet in the door way. My stand alone shower is to the left. I have a separate garden tub.I need some advice on where to start looking.please help!

Plumbing leak [ 1 Answers ]

I might have a small leak in the hose faucet connected to the kitchen wall. I know it would be easy to repair if a go through the kitchen wall to get to it. Does a job like this one be difficult and expensive to repair?

View more questions Search