Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlieboy2015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2015, 12:54 PM
    Sewer like smell - plumbing
    We have a 1 1/2 yr. old home and have a suite where my son is and in the past month or so we have had a sewer like smell when he flushes toilet and uses shower. The smell is not from bathroom but closet around corner where rough in laundry is.(specifically box where taps and drain hose is located) Do you know what this could be? Or if dangerous
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2015, 05:30 PM
    If the trap for the washer has dried out, it is getting sewer gas into the house. It could also be a plugged vent. Is the washer hooked up?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2015, 05:07 PM
    My question is do you run your laundry washer on a regular basis? Is there water in the trap or does the smell come out of the washer stand pipe? Can you localize the smell to a particular spot? Are there any wet areas? Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Plumbing Mystery Object & Sewer Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Several years ago we bought a 10-year-old house with an unfinished basement. The basement bathroom had stubbed-in plumbing pipes (for toilet, sink and tub drains) covered with plastic shopping bags and secured with duct tape. We finished the basement, doing 95% of the work ourselves. I...

Sewer sewer gas smell when using electric dryer [ 2 Answers ]

A wall separates my washer and dryer from a small bath room,gettig a strong sewer gas smell in the small bath room I thought when use the washer but after using the washer this morning waitged about 15 minutes and no smell so turned on the electric drye and in about 10 to 15 minutes had a strong...

Bad Sewer with horriable smell of gas fumes and sour smell ,toilet smell.unit [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a low rental, had complained since I have moved in on, June,26/2010... have called city of winnipeg was told private property. Called the water waste line.. they did nothing and the smell is still in the unit. The development, was build in 2007.. the air vents where the heat comes from,...

Plumbing sewer gas smell in basement that comes and goes [ 16 Answers ]

We moved into a house with a sewer gas smell. We did find 3 open sewer drains that we capped. The odor went away for a week and now is back. It is worse when the heat is on and is so bad we can't turn on the heat. It is pulling the smell from our basement but we can't locate it. We checked all...

What can I use get rid of plumbing smell outside near the sewer line? [ 2 Answers ]

What can I use to get rid of the horrible smell of the backup outside my house from the plumbing back up in my yard. >Moved from Forum Help<

View more questions Search