Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sicksense Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2015, 05:46 PM
    Depreciating a trade in of PPE
    Hello... When accounting for a trade-in of ppe, e.g. machinery, do you depreciate for the year of disposal? As in, I have come across questions and it would state 'depreciation charged in year of acquisition and none in year of disposal'. Since you treat a trade-in as a disposal I assumed you do not include this years depreciation when calculating the NBV of the machine you are trading in.. But I have seen solutions that have included it, so basically I'm confused :/ I understand the rest of the accounting treatment for the trade in and that you do depreciate the new machine. Working with IAS 16. Thanks for any help.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2015, 05:45 PM
    Yes, depreciation is recorded during the year of sale. The depreciation may be for a partial year, so you would have to calculate the amount of time expired during the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjusting entry for over depreciated PPE accounts [ 0 Answers ]

What is the adjusting entry for 2011 if PPE account for 2010 is negative?

Gain from disposal of PPE [ 3 Answers ]

Why the gain from disposal of PPE is not included in operating activities since it involved in cash payment as well? Thanks for spending time for answering my question.

Journal entries for purchase of PPE [ 2 Answers ]

what journal entry would you process for an item of PPE that was purchased for $100m , payable in five equal instalments(first of which is paid on delivery. Assume fair value of 9%and the residual was is not applicable. and what entries would be required at 30 Sep 2006 (year end) assuming the...

View more questions Search