Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logicfi Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2015, 02:44 AM
    Do grain weevils bite wood or human? How they survive
    I read that "a bag of wheatberries we purchased in the Midwest six months ago. You can see where the weevils chewed through the plastic bag. " under the picture(from a blogger) showing the holes and weevils.
    Do grain weevils or rice weevils bite wood or human? I still found one or two on the paint wall after I threw away the package of the rice weeks ago.
    My floor is formed by wooden strips. If they hide and bite there, it'd be troublesome.
    What would they eat without grain to keep alive?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 14, 2015, 11:55 AM
    None of the grain weevils have the mouthparts to "bite" people. The ones you found are looking for grain to lay eggs in. A strong disinfectant/detergent in your storage area will help get rid of the survivors.

Michigan State University

Aug 15, 2015, 10:03 PM
    Thanks for your advice. I know they have a spike thing on their head. Today I found out why the weevils survive in my home after there is no rice there for weeks. I clean up the cupboard and found a box of black-eye beans with lots of weevils in there with white powder. Several months ago I wanted to heat the beans and make a hand warmer with it. But I forgot the whole thing.
    Next time if I heat the bean, what temperature to kill the weevil eggs?
    Why they like the painted wall? It's like nutritious carbohydrate food? Thank you.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 16, 2015, 04:49 AM
    By the time you heat the beans enough to kill all the weevil eggs, they will be paste. It would be better and MUCH more effective to get rid of the infested beans. What color is the painted wall? Does it resemble the color of grain?

Aug 19, 2015, 03:55 PM
    Not the infested bean.s I mean if I buy new beans to make hand warmer as I'd thought of heat it before putting them into the cloth bag. I think the degree of baking omelette is enough. Haha. Yes, the painted wall color is like pale black-eye bean skin. I wonder if the kidney bean weevils would like kidney color wood floor hahaha.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 20, 2015, 03:33 AM
    Your best bet is to completely empty the storage area, throw away anything showing signs of infestation, and cleaning the area with a strong disinfectant. Personally, I find ammonia cleaners do a good job the first time so there's no need for a second.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Biology- Human eyes changing color? [ 23 Answers ]

Can human eyes change color, or is it just different types of light reflecting in their eyes? I am dating someone whose eyes are sometimes very blue, but sometimes green. I also have a friend whose eyes change from brown to green.

How long semen can survive outside of the human body [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you could tell me how long semen can survive outside of the human body. My girlfriend and I are worried that some semen got on her hand, around the knuckle area and about 5 minutes later she touched her vagina. I don't know if theirs a big risk of her being pregnant

How likely is a human bite to become infected? [ 17 Answers ]

My friend bit me past the skin on the shoulder about five hours ago and it is still swollen. Is this likely to become infected?

Movie vampire falls in love with a human and eats and drink human food to become human [ 1 Answers ]

Movie about a vampire who falls in love with a human woman and tries to become human by eating and drinking human food

Weevils destruction [ 1 Answers ]

White weevils have been killing my plants. Have tried insecticidal soap and sevin dust But to no avail. They like my roses, hibiscus and others

View more questions Search