Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbpro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2015, 05:12 AM
    Low water pressure in entire house except bathroom.
    The other day my parent's noticed water was coming through their tiles in the downstairs bathroom. After a plumber came over, he turned on the water upstairs and listened to the walls and detected a leak. He cut open the wall outside the bathroom and revealed a pipe about 3 feet up that was spraying water. He said he could tell by the amount of ' gunk' on the elbow joints that this was a problem in the past for previous owners. He replaced the pipe, put more " gunk " on and now it no longer leaks, but a new problem has developed.

The entire houses water pressure is down drastically- Except for the bathroom that is directly adjacent to the water heater in the garage.. Every bathroom and sink has lower pressure, including the rooms he did not visit and did not touch.

Before the plumber game, the pressure was fine - even with the leak- but now it's not. The only things he did was fix/ replace the pipe, and do something at the water heater- Which I'm assuming was to shut off and open the valves at some point.

The top valve ( the red valve in the picture) is open - so the pressure isn't being stifled there- which leads me to the pipe he fixed ( pictured)

Can anyone think of any things to check for why the pressure is all of a sudden so low immediately after he fixed the leak? I'd really appreciate your help. I've included some pictures in case that might help.

I will be contacting the plumber tomorrow to have him come out again if It's not something simple but I thought I would ask here first to see if someone might have some ideas..

Thank you
    -Mike
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 13, 2015, 10:23 AM
    Hi Mike

Remove the aerators from the end of the faucets and clean them... could simply be some sediment got kicked up when the cold water main got shut off to do the repair work. Of this repaire the faucets, remove the hoses for the back of the washing machine as well and clean the screens there...

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2015, 05:18 PM
    Don't forget to remove the aerators and check the screens for debris and trash . Open the valves and flush the lines. If there is still a problem you may have picked up debris in the cartages. If that is the case the cartages may have to be pulled and the entire system flushed. Let us know what you find. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure - entire house [ 2 Answers ]

I've read many of the other posts, and I'm somewhat re-assured that I'm not the only one having problems with hot water pressure. For confirmation, here's my problem: I have a standard gas hot water heater in my basement; throughout the entire house my hot water pressure has recently dropped...

Hot Water Low Pressure Entire House [ 7 Answers ]

I purchased my home 1 year ago and it is 6 years old. About 3 days ago, I noticed the hot water coming out of all faucets has low pressure. I checked the hot water heater valve and it is completely open. I'm sure there is build up of hard water (since our water is very hard) somewhere but was...

Low hot water pressure in entire house [ 0 Answers ]

I received information from a nice man on this site regarding replacement of some type of metal coupler things atop the hot water heater from metal to copper. I have no idea how to install these items or shut off water, gas, or any other installation process. I don't know exactly the names of the...

Low water pressure to entire house [ 12 Answers ]

My house was built in 86, I have lived here since 2001 and have had awesome water pressure throughout the house until now. On Saturday I noticed that water pressure was not as strong as it usually is. By end of day today, I cannot run my dishwasher or washer machine and very little water comes...

Low hot water pressure entire house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. We have 3 yr old house/ boiler and have noticed recently an overall drop in our hot water pressure. We have a thermo dynamics oil fed boiler(no hot water tank). Could our heating coil be getting "crudded up" w/ mineral deposits like a hot water heater? How do we test or...

View more questions Search