Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2015, 12:06 PM
    Credit Cards
    Mr. Rodriguez has a offer from Discover 0 promo apr for 15 months.Only a transfer fee of $10.00

The only credit card he has is Bank of america for $3,400 at 7.24%

Should he entertain the discover card offer and pay of the Bank of america loan.
    He states he could pay the Discover card with a month payment of $768.00

What do you think
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 12, 2015, 12:30 PM
    Yes..
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2015, 12:38 PM
    Very Good. Thank You.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2015, 01:57 PM
    What is the Rate AFTER the promotion period? Will he be able to pay off the entire balance before the promotion period ends? I believe the answer to the second part is yes, as long as he pays it off before it ends. He has a very good rate with his Bank of America card now... I hope he plans on keeping it. I bet the Discover card jumps to a much higher rate than that after the promotion period.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2015, 03:06 PM
    After the 15 months it would be 17% He has a FICO score of 775
    He only owes the 3,400 at Bank of America with a $16,000 credit limit.
    Discover card is about the same amount limit
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 12, 2015, 03:16 PM
    He has a great credit score! The interest rate of the Discover card is more than double that of the BOA card after the promo period. He should just stick with the BOA card.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 12, 2015, 03:21 PM
    It is only a promo, drawing him in. It reverts to the normal high rate of probably 25 or 30 per when the promo ends.

He should decline and stay with BOA
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2015, 03:27 PM
    He owes nothing to discover. But 15 months is a long time.
    If he can afford the 768.00 a month should take him only 4 months.
    And with no interest.

I guess he could double up on BA, but he would still be paying at 7% which is a $20.00 a month on his bill every month.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2015, 04:17 PM
    Take the Discover card offer, meanwhile keep the BofA card, pay off his debt, then see which card gives him the better interest rate for future purchases. He can keep both cards and use the one with the better deal. And keep both paid off each month.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2015, 06:36 PM
    As long as he can pay off the Discover within the 15 months promo period it's a good thing. If he can't then ts a no go. Another factor is whether interest accrues unless he pays in full. This is typical of no interest purchases, not of balance transfers. But what happens if the purchase is not paid in full within the promo period then it will be like he was charged interest from day 1. As I said,m this is not typical of balance transfers. In such cases, interest starts accruing only on the remaining balance.

Another factor in this is how often he gets these offers. I have a similar FICO score so I'm constantly getting balance transfer offers. I just did a transfer to pay off a BofA card balance from a Citibank card. The BofA account was itself a balance transfer from another card. When the promo period on the Citicard expires, I will pay if off with another balance transfer. That should be the last one as the balance will be low enough by then to be paid off before the promo period expires.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2015, 11:12 PM
    Agree, if he can pay the discover card off within the 15 months, he will save the interest.

My other concern, not had a Discover Card (really have had no credit card for years) I don't believe in them. Is if there is any membership or annual fee. Even after the 15 month. Be sure the terms are all clear, read all the fine print.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2015, 04:21 AM
    His discover card has no annual fee. Only a $10.00 fee for the balance transfer.
    A new factor has developed he has told me he has to start saving up for his property insurance due in November $3,200. So I think he should for now, he should hold up the discover offer. I just love your impeccable suggestions for church people in various situations
    Expert

Aug 13, 2015, 06:03 PM
    What Discover hopes, and most people with the 0 offer, is that people will end up charging more and new things, and at the end, have a large balance and end up paying a lot of interest.

My son does use many of the 0 interest and moves balances from card to card ever so often. He swears he has not paid credit card interest in years and years.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2015, 05:30 AM
    Balance Transfers usually carry a fee, but that fee is generally a lot less than the interest on the amount.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2015, 06:10 AM
    Cannot explain it. Anyhow he paid off the discover card. But didn't close the account.
    Moreover he didn't have to borrow any funds. Very commendable.
    Expert

Nov 6, 2015, 06:27 AM
    It is very common for credit cards to have dozens of plans. Often they offer low or zero interest for a period, but then that plan will have a much higher rate of interest going into the period after the trial period. And from company to company, rates can vary greatly, plus vary by the type of plan you qualify for.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2015, 07:06 AM
    So True

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which credit card companies use equifax or transunion or both for credit cards? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to establish credit on my own. I have tried with experian and have 10 hard hits got turned down because of insufficient credit historty and to many recent inquires. My equifax score is 787 My transunion is 770. My problem is I am new to credit and my present accounts are permissive user...

Credit cards that pull only experian credit reports [ 0 Answers ]

I know that some banks only pull 1 bureau for applications. Which ones that you know of only pull Experian?

What credit cards will approve you if you have negative items on your credit report. [ 1 Answers ]

I have poor credit and my credit score is barely over 500. I am in the process of paying off my debts. Anyone know of any unsecured credit cards I can get approved for?

Credit scores/no credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

If a person has never applied for a credit card, has always paid with cash, do they have a credit score at all, is this score a good credit score or a bad credit score?

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

View more questions Search