Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cr1996 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2015, 09:15 AM
    Heat Exhaustion or something else?
    I went biking yesterday and covered just under 12km. I was going at a relatively casual speed, though would go quicker when going uphill. I do this trail often. About 8km in I felt all right, I was a little sweaty and tired but still felt energized. Once I reached the top of a big hill, the second I stopped, I felt absolutely exhausted- I could barely stand or do anything. I couldn't get enough air, was breathing rapidly and I thought I was going to faint. It was quite scary, and I struggled for balance and was incredibly nauseous. It lasted a long time, and while trying to recover I kept having to stop because I could barely walk. I am still on a waiting list to see if I have exercise-induced asthma, so I believe my difficulty breathing along with the heat and humidity may have caused heat exhaustion. I'm positive that if I'd kept biking the way I had been for another five minutes I would have passed out, vomited and been unable to breathe, and that I may have been in a dangerous situation. With what I've described, is it possible that I had heat exhaustion? What can I do to protect myself if I find myself in similar circumstances again?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2015, 09:58 AM
    Could be heat related. Could be lack of fluids related. If an altitude was involved, could be altitude related. Or you might have had a bug.

Drink mucho water next time. Wear light covered clothing. Don't drink alcohol in excess the night before. Since you had this episode start with some shorter distances and see how you feel.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2015, 10:05 AM
    In high heat and humidity, simple, don't over extend yourself. Could be heat stroke that effected you.

How old are you ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 11, 2015, 12:28 PM
    As long as you have to wait for the test, why not get a more general checkup at your regular doctor's?
    Very few symptoms of any condition can't be attributed to a number of causes.
    So sure, it sounds like heat exhaustion. You've seen the marathons with people collapsing, getting wrapped loosely in a mylar blanket, and hydrated in the shade. I'm sure you carry a water bottle and take sips as you go, right?

Have your blood pressure checked and heart listened to, and check your family history for strokes and heart attacks and when people died, and of what.
    That and more are why we go to doctors in person! We don't even know your age, weight, and general health.

Just listened to an eye doctor list all the information that can be detected by looking in the eyes. GPs don't seem to do that much anymore.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 11, 2015, 01:40 PM
    I would certainly take a break until you do get properly checked out.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 11, 2015, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    As long as you have to wait for the test, why not get a more general checkup at your regular doctor's?
    Very few symptoms of any condition can't be attributed to a number of causes.
    So sure, it sounds like heat exhaustion. You've seen the marathons with people collapsing, getting wrapped loosely in a mylar blanket, and hydrated in the shade. I'm sure you carry a water bottle and take sips as you go, right?

Have your blood pressure checked and heart listened to, and check your family history for strokes and heart attacks and when people died, and of what.
    That and more are why we go to doctors in person! We don't even know your age, weight, and general health.

Just listened to an eye doctor list all the information that can be detected by looking in the eyes. GPs don't seem to do that much anymore.
    Oh and why not alarm unnecasily, gosh. Eye doctor ! Joy, can you just take a break !

yes, blood pressure and complete work up. and again, how old are u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat exhaustion [ 0 Answers ]

On July 3rd, I suffered from what I think was a severe case of heat exhaustion. I was very sick for about 12 continuous hours - diareah, vomiting, cramps, headache, etc. Ever since, I get fatigued after only an hour or two of minor labor. I'm 52, in good physical condition, not over weight, and...

Measuring level of exhaustion in athletes [ 0 Answers ]

Are the measurements of heart rate, breathing rate, and skin temperature enough to determine whether a player on the field is exhausted or not?

Left Leg Pain/Exhaustion [ 4 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there everyone. I am a newbie and my name is Kim. I am a 36 yr old female with a nagging pain in my left leg and the feeling of being tired all the time. I am at my wits end because my insurance isn't great and I can't just run to the doc for every little aliment. Brief...

Strange menstrual cycle and exhaustion, with intense headaches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently been experiencing slight nausea in the morning and throughout the day. I have also been feeling quite exhausted, even if I have gotten enough sleep. I have been experiencing a strange menstrual cycle for the last few months. The first week instead of being normal, there is a...

Starting menopause+exhaustion? [ 5 Answers ]

I believe that I am starting menopause. I just turned 40 a couple of days ago, and have been feeling so tired that I can barely move. I went to the doctor for blood work and he didn't find anything wrong. But right now I can barely move. Any tips, foods, vitamins, something to get me moving?? ...

View more questions Search