Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alaemmermann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2015, 05:18 AM
    Airline France personal travel allowance how much
    My boyfriend is trying to leave France. He had an expired passport and they charged him over $5000.00 for a ticket and a paper from immigration. He is a US citizen. He's been to the airport 3 times. After all was said and done. They now tell him he needs a Personal Travel Allowance of $1,600.00 to get aboard. I need to know if this is legal or not. He has no more money. No place to stay and nothing to eat for almost a week now.Is there any one we can talk to. He's 64 years old. I can't get that kind of money any where. He has talked to everybody he can think of, and I'm down to my Senator. His ticket is pd. For and the airline won't give him the money back.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2015, 05:41 AM
    Have you met in real life or only online? I ask because this smells of a popular romance scam.
    To answer your question - there is no such thing as a Personal Travel Allowance. Sorry.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2015, 08:45 AM
    You are getting played... funny he can't find money to eat... but he can find money to contact you to tell you he doesn't. Give that some thought... nothing here adds up to a real situation... I have traveled back and forth (round trips) from almost every country in the European Union over 30 times now (and to and from France several times). Not once have I EVER even been asked if I carried enough much less was required to prove it... and neither has my wife who has made an almost equal number of trips.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2015, 02:19 AM
    Sorry these are all lies.
    1. if he is a US citizen it is his French visa that allows him in France. If his passport is expired, he merely goes go the US embassy and gets it renewed for 160 USD.

No, the airline does not charge extra for an expired passport. They will either sell a ticket or not sell a ticket.

The US embassy can also give him (free I believe) emergency travel papers to return to the US.

There would never be a travel allowance for a US citizen to return to the US.

I am sorry, but everything you have said, is just not true. I live and travel all over the world.

If his French visa expired, the worst would be a small fine for over staying his visa, but then the French government would send him out.

I would guess. This is a man you have never meet in person. You have meet him on some internet site and talked to him. He has asked you for money to do all of these things.

If so, this is a well known and famous scam (more often done from Africa)

Can you return and give us the story.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal Travel Allowance [ 5 Answers ]

I have a chat friend from Nigeria with a British passport, who needs to travel to Dubai, however she is insisting in a law in Nigeria that states she has to carry on person 1000 USD before catching her flight as this is a guarantee that she will not be dependent on Dubai government for any issues. ...

Airline Basic Travel Allowance [ 1 Answers ]

An american citizen travelling from canada to egypt do they require boarding travel allowance

Personal travel allowance [ 2 Answers ]

I'm chatting online with a girl.. she is a student from USA and continued study for magister economy in Uk.. She planing traveling to indonesia via Singapore. She need a pta about 800 p or equal with usd $ 1.200 to shown to UK immigration at UK airport... tell me it's true? She proved me with...

Personal travel allowance [ 9 Answers ]

Can you tell me if an american citizen has to pay p t a I am in contact with a lady in england claims to live in California but refuses to tell me an address in the states but said she is coming back but needs 750 pound as she has two children 3 and six that is why the airline insists I think I am...

Personal travel allowance [ 18 Answers ]

There a person that I'm talking to on line who wants to come to America soon. Says that he needs to have a certain amount of money on him when he travel here. Is this true? He has a passport and had an appointment for a visit to the Embassy. Now he has to go to the US Embassy , and he need...

View more questions Search