Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marykate1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2015, 06:14 AM
    Genital herpes
    If you've had shingles in the past is it possible you will ever be tested positive for genital herpes ?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 6, 2015, 07:05 AM
    It really depends on the test. I didn't know this, but after a little research I found out that both the shingles virus and genital herpes belong to the same virus family. If you use a certain test then you could generate a false positive. A specific test should be used to differentiate the two viruses. Why are you asking this?
    Marykate1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2015, 08:28 AM
    I had shingles years ago and now they tested a culture and say I'm positive for type2 herpes.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 6, 2015, 12:58 PM
    Has your partner been tested?

I would honestly go and get retested with a test specific for genital herpes. The shingles could be giving you a false positive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Genital herpes [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for a year (tomorrow) and he was a virgin when we met. We first had sex 3 days into our relationship (fast I know) and we do it a lot. I have had tears on my vagina before, like towards the back.. And I have had bumps on my bottom.. But two days ago I became aware that I...

Genital Herpes or Genital Pimples [ 1 Answers ]

Good Day, How would you determine a Genital herpes to a Genital pimples?

Genital herpes [ 2 Answers ]

What's the best medication for genetal herpes?

Is this genital herpes? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey there... this is kind of embarrassing to ask, but... I've had some discomfort with my vagina, it's like overly sensitive to touch and it itches a bit, I've also had some discharge in the form of white-ish stuff that's not too watery. After looking at my area in the mirror, I also noticed some...

Do I have genital herpes? [ 5 Answers ]

I haver had these bumps on my penis right before the head and don't really itch or hurt but sometimes feel uncomfortable. I had intercourse with a girl who said she doesn't have any stds but I kind of feel that she didn't know and now I might have herpes

View more questions Search