Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    numbersguy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2015, 05:31 AM
    Changing light fixture- 2 separate wires in the ceiling (3 wire and a 2 wire)
    I know this has been answered before but my situation is a bit different. Installing a replacement light fixture. In the ceiling are TWO separate wires. One is 2 wire plus ground and the second is 3 wires plus ground. Fixture has black, white, and round connection. I connected the two black wires together and pigtailed off it to the light fixture wire. I did the same for the whites. I capped off the red. I assume I need to cap off the black on the 3 wire plus ground wiring and then wire nut the red from the 3 wire plus ground wire to the black on the two wire plus ground wire and pigtail it to the black light fixture wire. Would this be correct?

Thanks for your help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 6, 2015, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by numbersguy
    I connected the two black wires together and pigtailed off it to the light fixture wire. I did the same for the whites. I capped off the red.
    Did this not work correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by numbersguy
    I assume I need to cap off the black on the 3 wire plus ground wiring and then wire nut the red from the 3 wire plus ground wire to the black on the two wire plus ground wire and pigtail it to the black light fixture wire. Would this be correct?
    Impossible to say from the information provided. When you disconnected the old fixture how was it wired? If you're not sure please describe the switch arrangement in the room - is the light controlled by one switch, or two? It would be helpful to see how the switch(es) are wired, that is how red, black and white are connected. Also, if you have a voltmeter it would be helpful to check which of the black and/or red wires are energized from the circuit breaker.
    numbersguy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2015, 12:07 PM
    OK, let me answer my own question...

In the ceiling are TWO separate wires. One is 2 wire plus ground and the second is 3 wires plus ground. Fixture has black, white, and ground connection. Switch is single pole. How to wire to light fixture.

First, turn off the circuit breaker to the light-fixture. Use an electronic circuit detector to make SURE power is OFF. Remove the old fixture.

Next, wire-nut the BLACKS from the two separate wires (the 3 wire + ground and the 2 wire + ground) to the BLACK wire from the new light fixture.
    Next, wire-nut the WHITES from the two wires and the WHITE wire from the fixture together (these are the travelers sending current to the light switch.)
    Connect ground wires together.
    Lastly, wire-nut the RED wire from the 3 wire plus ground wire bundle to the WHITE wire coming from the light fixture.
    Turn the circuit breaker back on and try the light-switch. Should work fine!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 6, 2015, 12:24 PM
    First the terminology.

A wire is a wire. A cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. A 2-wire cable (proper terminology is 2 conductor cable) has a black, white and ground wire. We don't count the ground. It is not a conductor. A 3-wire (conductor) cable would have a black, white, red and ground wire.

Would this be correct?
    Not very likely. You cannot wire just looking at wire colors. You have to look at how the wires are being used.

Remove the switch and tell us what cables and wires you have there, and how they are connected

Lastly, wire-nut the RED wire from the 3 wire plus ground wire bundle to the WHITE wire coming from the light fixture.
    There is no way that could be correct
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2015, 03:13 PM
    Red, if hot will immediately trip the breaker if connected to a neutral. I think we need to go back to first base. How was the old light wired? With a red wire, you either have a 3 way or another switch with a red wire on it or it is being used in a switch loop circuit. Can you see a red wire on the "single pole switch". "these are the travelers sending current to the light switch.-if this is the case you do have a switch loop although the term "travelers" is normally used with 3 way switches.
    SADIEA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2019, 02:32 PM
    Im learning, so bear with me; in my kichen, i have 3 black wires & 1 red t0 connected to black. Also, 1 white to white to ceiling light fixture. 1st light switch has white to ground, red to white & blk to blk; other wall light switch is wired 1 blk to white, red to where black should be and 1 other red to top receptacle on same side and other red,problem light stays on and neither switch will turn it off. Please what is wrong
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2019, 06:23 AM
    My guess is you have a three way switch setup, two switches that control one light. If your not familiar with this wiring arrangement and do not know how to troubleshoot the system, you will need to hire a qualified electrician to make corrections. I provided a link that will show the numerous wiring diagrams for a 3 way switch:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=3+wa...w=1232&bih=620

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire a regular light fixture when box has 4 wires [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to install a basic ceiling light to a electric box with 4 wires. (Black, White, Red and Ground) I just moved into the house. The wires were left bare with no light attached. There are two switches that control the light. So I assume that the wiring is for 3 way switches. But not sure...

Light fixture with 3 wires to a 2 wire connection box [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new ceiling pendant that has 3 wires labeled L, N and the 3rd has a T shaped symbol on it. My ceiling connection box only has 2 wires.What do I need to do?

How to wire a dual wire fixture on ceiling with one set of wires? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a ceiling fixture that has two white and two black wires. How do I wire that to the wall that only has one white and one black? I know what to do with the ground, but this 2-1 thing confuses me. Thanks in advance, Shelley

How do I connect two wires from the ceiling to a three wire fixture [ 1 Answers ]

In UK Black & Red feeds from the ceoiling rose. I am installing a new fixture which has three transparent sheaths and one earth, Fixture cables one appears blue one other brown and one seems to be bi-coloured white & blue. I have tried different options and can get a trip or am left with the...

How to wire a new ceiling fixture in an old box with four wires [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a home built in the 1950s and am trying to change a simple ceiling fixture. My husband disconnected the old fixture from the ceiling, but neglected to see how it was connected. :o my question is this: I'm trying to hook up a new fixture with just one black, one white and one...

View more questions Search