Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Aug 5, 2015, 06:36 PM
    Overflowwing washer
    So, my washer is overflowing out the drain pipe during the rinse cycle ONLY on a large or extra large load setting. Medium and small loads of laundry are no problem. What could possibly be the cause of this?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 5, 2015, 07:04 PM
    Clogged drain. Have it snaked.

It overflows on Large and EX Large settings because it uses more water. Your drain is capable to drain small amounts of water ( on lower settings ) but if it starts pumping out large amounts of water, it will back up - and eventually overflow

Hope that explains

Milo
    Movie Expert

Aug 5, 2015, 07:07 PM
    I also noticed a yucky sewer type smell when it overflowed. I will have it snaked and hope that takes care of it. Thank you so much for your help :)
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 5, 2015, 07:09 PM
    Yes, it will smell because it brings up dirt from the sewer pipe. It is an unhealthy stuff. Have it snaked as soon as possible.

You are very welcome

Milo
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2015, 03:58 AM
    Name:  fitting.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  14.5 KBaliseaodo, are you on city sewer or septic tank? If snaking the line don't solve the problem, try a fitting like this at the washer stand pipe. Good luck
    Movie Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 10:56 AM
    Just an update - I tried snaking the drain, but couldn't get by the p-trap - removed the p-trap and it was clear. Going to have the vent on the roof snaked... we shall see if that works! Thanks again for all your help and suggestions :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2015, 11:16 AM
    You never said if you're on city sewer or septic tank?

You never said if you're on city sewer or septic tank?
    Movie Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 12:12 PM
    Sorry parttime! I'm on city water...
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2015, 12:20 PM
    Milo is dead on then, snake away and good luck.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 12:26 PM
    Let's back up a bit (pun intended). Is this the lowest plumbing fixture in the home? If thecwasher is the lowest fixture then a typical hand snake probably won't resolve the issue. Let me know if this is the lowest fixture or not and we can discuss more...

Mark
    Movie Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 10:09 PM
    Hmmm... not sure how to determine what the 'lowest fixture' would be, I have a single story home with a consistent level floor base throughout the entire home. I did have the roof vent for the washer snaked and did a test wash, it drained with no overflow :) I'm hoping the issue is solved. Curious though, why would the 'lowest fixture' matter, is it because it would be working against gravity and potentially a blockage from another, higher fixture?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 19, 2015, 03:57 AM
    If say, the washer was in the basement and all other fixtures in the home were above it on the first floor, then a washing machine that backs up only when discharging LARGE or EXTRA LARGE loads would typically suggest that the MAIN DRAIN itself was partially clogged. In that case, the main drain would need to be snaked with a large cutter head to clear the partial blockage... typical hand-held snake wouldn't do the job.

However, in your case, it sounds like all fixtures are on the same level of the first floor, so if your main drain was partially clogged, most likely, a partial blockage in the main drain would result in water backing up into the lowest fixture, i.e. a shower or tub drain when the washer discharged large or extra large loads.

Hopefully, snaking the vent resolved the issue. If not, pop back and we can discuss snaking a drain a bit more. Snaking a drain, for example, can sometimes require going in and out of the drain line 5-10 times!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to add washer drain in my kitchen for a stackable washer & dryer [ 0 Answers ]

Yellow lines repersent drain pipe,circles represents air vents leading to the roof and green lines represent my suggested drains. One of my options is to add a T-shape coupling where the 90 is form at the bath sink and extend the plumbing an extra 2 feet and form a 90 to lead into the kitchen...

Kenmore stackable washer/dryer broken. Washer doesn't work [ 0 Answers ]

When starting a wash load on my stackable kenmore washer/dryer it starts to fill with water and it clicks. The lights in my house were dimming off and on and the washer sounds like a car trying to start.

Kenmore washer dryer combo, washer agitates for about 10 seconds then it stops. [ 1 Answers ]

The washer will fill and it will agitate for about 10 seconds, then it will stop.When it stops there is no motor sound.Then after about one minute it will start by itself and repeat the same thing over and over no matter what I set the knob to it does the same thing. Could it be the timer?

Kenmore stack washer/dryer - washer makes noise during wash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a Kenmore stack washer/dryer that makes a noise that sounds something like a gear when washing only. Could this be a transmission problem? Jay

Drain pipe for washer backing up once washer starts to empty what could be causing [ 4 Answers ]

What couild be causing the drain pipe fro washer to back up and spill all over floor behind washer

View more questions Search