Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2015, 12:33 PM
    Have you served in the National Guard?
    My son is considering joining the National Guard as a reservist. I am interested in any advise or insight or experiences anyone might have to share about this responsibility/opportunity. I understand they are typically only deployed in the US, but that in recent years many have been deployed to support the regular army in the middle east. I am also interested in knowing more about educational benefits of joining in terms of payment of student and parent plus loans. Like, will they pay off loans already taken out? The website mentions student loans and parent plus loans, and also that instate public school tuition is covered but I wasn't clear on whether they will retroactively cover loans the student has already incurred. My son is 20 and a sophomore in college, taking a break. He is considering joining the reserves, working part time and also going to school part-time - possibly taking online courses in case he is deployed, so he wouldn't have to drop out. Any thoughts?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2015, 02:19 PM
    Yes, NJ National Guard. 1963-1969. Great experience. However, they did not pay any school loans at that time. Got called up for the Newark riots, got the NJ Good Conduct medal.. 3 miserable days in a miserable place. I have never regretted joining BUT times have changed so make sure he is very aware of the possibilities of being called up.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 3, 2015, 03:00 PM
    All I can say about any branch of the military is that less and less is spent on the soldier so that more and more can be spent on billion dollar weaponry and on cyber warfare.
    That was true even when my nephews joined the marines in the 80s. Old, shabby equipment, etc., at basic training. Probably better when they were sent out.
    Decisions to deploy overseas can change on a dime. I'm not sure what good it is to know what the odds are. If you are deployed, you go.
    And if you are injured? The VA is a mess. It's a union run greedy bunch dragging everyone down the drain just to save their next pay raise.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 3, 2015, 03:39 PM
    Both of my oldest sons are in the NG. I don't know about paying student loans retroactive, but they were both eligible for the Mongomery GI Bill. My oldest used it for Criminal Justice and is now a police officer.

Both of them have been deployed to Iraq, and the oldest was deployed for a second tour to Afghanistan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens when you go AWOL in the national guard? [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I have a friend and he stopped going to his drills last year in march. He hasn't went back since. A couple of weeks ago a Sargent came to his house, he wasn't home but the Sargent told his father that they are wanting him to call them because he's AWOL and that he's not in trouble they just...

Join the national guard to be a cop? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to join the national guard and eventually be a police officer. I don't have very much info en would like to know if it is hard to do

I am 17 I want to know is there anyway that I can join the national guard now [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 and I graduate high school next June but I want to enlist now I was wondering if there is anyway that I can join now

National Guard and Probation [ 2 Answers ]

What happens when your serving the national guard and you are put on probation while still serving.

View more questions Search