Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bowler Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2015, 09:47 PM
    What camera filter should I use?
    Am using a Canon XT with an 18-55mm zoom lens. My question is this. When taking a picture of either a petty sunset or a red sun, the resulting pictures never represent the true colors. Photos just show a rather yellow image. Do I need to use a filter, and if so, which one?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 04:12 AM
    Here are some suggestions that you can choose from. Most of all it is going to depend on the "look" you are trying to get.

Amp Up Your Sunset Photos with an FLW Filter | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center

30 Sunset photography tips

Nature Photography Instruction
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 18, 2015, 09:09 AM
    Your white balance might be incorrect as well. Get a finely calibrated white balance and you're going to have very accurate colors in your pictures.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 18, 2015, 09:15 AM
    Also, a graduated ND filter will probably work wonders for sun/landscape shots.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Your white balance might be incorrect as well. Get a finely calibrated white balance and you're going to have very accurate colors in your pictures.

Actually it may not be white balance as the holy grail for this one. Most good cameras are calibrated to a 28 percent grey scale. In balancing to the 28% then your accuracy will come into play. What you really need to watch is the speed that you are taking the pictures at. A slower speed could be washing out colors in favor of lighting the scene. Also if you have subject matter in the scene try using fill in flash to light the subject.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 16, 2016, 10:19 PM
    Don't shoot on Auto. Always on Manual. Set you White Balance and Exposure ( time / f-stop) manually.

BTW: with digital, we don't use filters anymore. All filters are applied digitally in post-processing software, like Photoshop or Lightroom. The only filter you would use with digital today would be Neutral Density to get your f-stop down to your desired DOF, or to adjust your shutter speed so it syncs with your flash - but unless you are a very serious about photography - you will probably never find a use for ND filters.

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Camera not reading files taken with old camera. [ 2 Answers ]

II recorded videos with an old sony digital camera. When I purchased my Samsung camera put in the sd card the Samsung camera doesn't read the file I took with my old sony camera. It keep saying file error. Can this be fixed? I want all my memories.

I'm 11 years Old Should I buy a bridge dslr camera or a small compact camera? [ 2 Answers ]

I do have experience with a dslr camera

Analog camera lenses for digital camera body? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6006 Nikon with four lenses (Macro, tele, PC, and 35-89mm. I'm thinking about buying a Nikon D3100, digital camera. Can I use my Nikon 6006 lenses on the Nikon D3100 body?

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

View more questions Search