Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CauldronCircle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2015, 02:05 PM
    Can a Felon start a Non-Profit receiving 100% public funding?
    Non-Profit organization has been set to take Rehabilitation individuals for recovery in their organization while being provided public funding.
    This is a labor camp and used by the government to help rehabilitate people with their last chance effort before prison, but the president of this organization is convicted felon.
    The state they are in is Oklahoma and the filing of form 990 is in Utah.
    They are current since 2001-14 as 501 (c)3.
    Is this against the law? I can provide documentation as public record but would choose to know the generalized answer and possible direction to pursue this further.
    Thank you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2015, 02:50 PM
    No, it isn't against the law for a felon to start a 501c3 and run it while accepting funds from gov't agencies or public donations.
    By 'public funding,' do you mean taxpayer dollars from a gov't agency, such as judicial and prison systems?
    Given the cost to incarcerate, and the return rates, I would welcome the chance to cut costs with such a program, possibly in half or more. There are many all over the US. How many are run by ex cons I don't know. Seems like he would know how to run a tight ship!
    If you are concerned that certain people don't know he's a felon, then ask them. I can't see how they wouldn't.

One of the most common jobs felons with a change in attitude and a desire to work get when first released is counselor to people like themselves who haven't been able to get their act together, and they are often very good it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 07:41 PM
    This is not illegal and even normal. As noted many felons, who do truly change, go into non profit work to give back to the community.

While not a felon, I had a several time felon on my staff at my non profit before. He went on to start his own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We are a new non-profit organization that need funding ! [ 1 Answers ]

We would like to get started right away helping women and children in the Greater Cleveland Area, but we have no money. Currently, we have an opportunity to create jobs, assist women and their families ,and have projects that are waiting in the wings. We are in dire need for someone, anyone, to...

Government funding for convicted felon [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any federal funding for a convicted felon for education or small business ?

Funding for convicted felon and father of two [ 1 Answers ]

I'm only 24 yrs old and when I was younger had some run in's in with the law I was convicted of 3 felony 5's in Ohio which is where I live... I know have two children and a scarce job market I'm interested in going to school but obviously can't afford what can I do?? Thanks so much..

Can one who is a covicted felon with a suspended sentence become a notary public [ 9 Answers ]

Can a person who is a convicted felon with a suspended sentence become a notary public... Missouri & Kansas

Start-up Funding Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have an idea for a start-up company but I want to make sure that the way I go about funding the operation is legal. Rather than take out a loan or hit up family and friends for cash, I want to raise my funds by having companies pre-pay for advertising within my business. It will be stipulated...

View more questions Search