Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2015, 08:25 AM
    Is their ways to get rid of fishy smell and taste from fish?
    I bought some cod fish fillets from Kroger and noticed the fishy smell from them when I opened the package and cleaned them. Is their a way to prepare them before cooking to get rid of the fishy smell so when I eat them they do not taste fishy? Will cleaning them with vinegar or lemon juice get rid of the fishy smell and taste?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 09:08 AM
    Rule of thumb for fish is, of the fish smell fishy, the fish isn't fresh but you never know if the frozen package has been thawed and refrozen before you buy it. Assuming you bought frozen. This doesn't mean it is unsafe to eat.

You stated you washed the fish, so when you cook it, it will not taste or smell fishy.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 09:43 AM
    Fish is fish. It's not going to taste like beef or pork, it's going to taste like fish.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2015, 02:04 PM
    Fish shouldn't smell fishy. That being said, the two main ways to take any unpleasant smell away is to soak it in lemon juice (or lime or orange juice) or any kind of clear booze like gin or vodka.

Marinating fish in citrus juice or alcohol until it's cooked without heat is called ceviche (se - veesh).

My variation on ceviche is to brown fish on both sides for just a few seconds each on very high heat, add some juice or alcohol, cover, and take off the heat for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
    It's wonderfully flaky and not oily that way, tender rather than dry, yet thoroughly cooked.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2015, 02:06 PM
    Hey JP, you do the same thing with gar fish. After the 20 minute soak, you throw out the fish and drink the Vodka.
    current pert

Jul 31, 2015, 02:12 PM
    I'm stingy. My fish get one little glop of liquid that's pretty much all gone when done.
    What the heck is gar?
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Hey JP, you do the same thing with gar fish. After the 20 minute soak, you throw out the fish and drink the Vodka.
    Yes me too. But cooking fish is not complicated. Pan butter olive oil turn once est
    current pert

Jul 31, 2015, 02:32 PM
    Once you cook a drunken fish I'll bet you'll never just fry again.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2015, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by russharv63 View Post
    I bought some cod fish fillets from Kroger and noticed the fishy smell from them when I opened the package and cleaned them. Is their a way to prepare them before cooking to get rid of the fishy smell so when I eat them they do not taste fishy? Will cleaning them with vinegar or lemon juice get rid of the fishy smell and taste?
    Obvious fishy smell is the first indication its not fresh... and is likely several days to a week old since it was thawed out.

I don't like to buy pre-wrapped thawed fish for this reason (and unless you caught it yourself... "fresh fish" is previously frozen on the fishing vessel.)

Anything that has a strong fishy odor I return to the store. Which I have done a number of times. And they have always taken it back.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2015, 08:32 AM
    You know I've heard people say that if fish smells like fish then it's not fresh. All fish smells like fish. That's why I don't eat fish generally speaking.
    Expert

Sep 4, 2015, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    You know I've heard people say that if fish smells like fish then it's not fresh. All fish smells like fish. That's why I don't eat fish generally speaking.
    If fish smells fishy when yiu buy it, yes, it is less then fresh.
    Arran Alston Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2016, 10:42 AM
    The fish won't smell fishy after getting cooked, but to get rid of the fishy smell of the raw fish marinate it with lime juice and a bit of salt. You can also use gin to marinate the fish, this too will do away with the smell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy Smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have a vacation house in the mountains. It has a stale odor throughout the house, not musty or moldy - almost like paint. Clothes lying out smell of it when I bring them back to the city. I don't notice the odor much while in the house but more when I go out and come back inside. We used to...

Fishy smell [ 2 Answers ]

Fishey smell.espeacally after sex.no discharge

How do I rid a pan of fish-smell? [ 7 Answers ]

I have an old heavy-bottomed aluminium pan. I made fish-stock in it and now I find it impossible to get the fish-smell out. Tomorrow I have to make mulled cider in it. Have you got any advise? Love, thanks! Annemieke Wigmore,

Fishy smell [ 11 Answers ]

The other day my boyfriends penis smelt of fish, needless to say, I stopped touching it, is that normal?

How can I get rid of my fish smell? [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed when I Ovulate I have a weird fish smell down south. I am A very clean person. But what can I do to get rid of this?

View more questions Search