Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spoonerboi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2015, 06:06 AM
    Battery Charge
    I'm currently doing some research into how firefly hybrid generators can save fuel emissions. I'm currently trying to calculate how exactly they charge using some simple calculations. The technical data sheet ((http://www.fireflycleanenergy.co.uk/...c_Brochure.pdf) pages 10,11 ) says it has a charge time of 7.5 hours, however it states this for units of various sizes with varying accompanying generator sizes, therefore I don't understand how this can be true.

In essence I'm building a rough idea of an expected load throughout the day a generator would be put under, and I'm trying to calculate when required how the firefly would charge when the generator is charging the firefly and also supporting the load upon it.

Does anybody know how to do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 06:26 AM
    The limiting factor in charge time of a battery is the heat created by the charging current - you can't go too high or you can destroy the battery. As a rule of thumb, the charging current should be no more than 20% of the rated Amp-Hr capacity of the battery. The specs doesn't tell us the Amp-Hr capacity of the batteries, but for illustration: for a 24 A-Hr battery it should be charged at no more than 24 x 0.2=4.8 amps, and a 48 A-Hr battery should be charged at no more than 9.6A, and both batteries would have a 5-hour recharging time. I suspect that the charging circuit on these generators uses lower current levels than the above calculation would suggest, perhaps to extend battery life or to reduce the charging power load.

To determine the load that charging puts onto the generator - take the energy storage figures for the batteries and divide by 7.5 hours to get the power required in watts. In practice then divide that by 2, assuming that the batteries discharge only half way. For example the 48 kW-Hr batteries would require 48/7.5 = 6.4 kW to fully recharge in 7.5 hours, or more practically speaking half of that = 3.2 kW.

Jul 31, 2015, 06:45 AM
    Thanks ebaines

Because the generator and battery back in question is 3-phase does this change in anyway

Jul 31, 2015, 06:50 AM
    Also in the tech specs it states that the depth of discharge is at 60%, does this mean that the 20% you quoted is 40% on this unit?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerboi
    Because the generator and battery back in question is 3-phase does this change in anyway
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerboi
    Also in the tech specs it states that the depth of discharge is at 60%, does this mean that the 20% you quoted is 40% on this unit?
    No, it means the "discharge only half way" that I mentioned should be "discharge only 60% of the way."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My john deer 185 battery light stays on could it be tand battery does not charge [ 1 Answers ]

My 185 lawn tractor battery lite stays on and the battery does not charge. Could it be the regulator or something else

Do I charge my phone before I use it or use it until the battery dies then charge it [ 6 Answers ]

I have aslways had an issue with my new phones, the battery life s always so much less compared to the specification set out by the manufacture. So I need to know, "do i charge my phone before i use it or use it untill the battery dies then charge it"?

Battery will not charge. [ 4 Answers ]

Bought a new battery 4 my laptop. Computer will run fine with ac power. Battery will not charge.

How long should I charge my car battery when I jump charge from another car? [ 2 Answers ]

I left my car door open all night & now the battery is dead. I jumped started the car with another car and want to know how long I have to wait until I can safely use the car.

Battery charge [ 3 Answers ]

Why won't my battery charge in my Bolens Tractor and how do I test the part that might cause the problem? I have voltmeters and ohmeters.

View more questions Search