Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 10, 2015, 03:30 PM
    What I am not sure of is, is the Win 7 screen that I have is all that it should be. If I knew how, I would make photo of my screen. What I have is a 3 tier just plain grey screen with the top line listing the open windows and the 2nd line has a right and left button arrow a refresh button and line to enter information. The 3d line is just a listing of my favorites. I sure would like to see a shot of what the Win 7 screen should look like. One other thing, I would love to get rid of the password necessary to open up the computer.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2015, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    What I am not sure of is, is the Win 7 screen that I have is all that it should be. If I knew how, I would make photo of my screen. What I have is a 3 tier just plain grey screen with the top line listing the open windows and the 2nd line has a right and left button arrow a refresh button and line to enter information. The 3d line is just a listing of my favorites. I sure would like to see a shot of what the Win 7 screen should look like. One other thing, I would love to get rid of the password necessary to open up the computer.

If this is a basic computer or laptop not touch screen activated then it sounds like you have it running in tablet mode. Your win7 screen should look normal other then the background being a win10 logo. What type of machine is this on and did you upgrade or did you do a fresh install ?

You have 1 week to decide if you like it or not. It allows you to revert during that time period.

Aug 10, 2015, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    If this is a basic computer or laptop not touch screen activated then it sounds like you have it running in tablet mode. Your win7 screen should look normal other then the background being a win10 logo. What type of machine is this on and did you upgrade or did you do a fresh install ?

You have 1 week to decide if you like it or not. It allows you to revert during that time period.
    A Toshiba A665 about 4 years old. I did a upgrade. My screen looks very bland and it is grey in color at the top. Not sure what I have looks like a Hybrid, it works but is not very colorful or functional.

Unless I get this to look okay I will not upgrade my desktop.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2015, 06:08 PM
    You can change the desktop theme pretty easily... you won't have to be stuck with bland. Though I don't have my laptop in front of me to tell you what steps it takes. But there aren't many. I seem to remember it being very much like doing it on Win 7 or Win 8.1

Aug 10, 2015, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You can change the desktop theme pretty easily... you won't have to be stuck with bland. Though I don't have my laptop in front of me to tell you what steps it takes. But there aren't many. I seem to remember it being very much like doing it on Win 7 or Win 8.1
    Smoothy, it is not just the color it just does not even resemble what the Win 7 screen should look like. I don't know what is wrong. If worse come to be, and I can't revert to Win7 I will start over. The only thing I have been able to do without any problem is to Import my Favorites from Win 7 to Win 10 on screen.

Other than that I can not find other things that I did on Win 7 with ease.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2015, 07:15 PM
    Try going to the right side of the task bar if you have one. There should be a box there indicating alerts. If you click it then you also should get the desktop theme section. That is where I think it may have went wrong and gotten into tablet mode. You should be able to change it there.

Aug 10, 2015, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Try going to the right side of the task bar if you have one. There should be a box there indicating alerts. If you click it then you also should get the desktop theme section. That is where I think it may have went wrong and gotten into tablet mode. You should be able to change it there.
    I got your PM Thanks. I am making some headway. I now have a screen that is just like my Win 7 was. Only problem I am having is how to keep it there. When I hit a button or two the screen reverts to the blue/grey screen with not much info. Making some headway, wish I was getting paid for this trial and error hours I am spending on this hummer.

Update, I have a full color Win 7 screen and the Win 10 screen. Much more trial and error, think I have it figured out some what.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 11, 2015, 07:27 AM
    Catonsville, what was the issue, and how was it fixed? I want to know because chances are I am going to have to support my parents and this sounds like something they'd do.

Aug 11, 2015, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    Catonsville, what was the issue, and how was it fixed? I want to know because chances are I am going to have to support my parents and this sounds like something they'd do.
    I am sorry, but I don't know what the problem was or how I fixed it. If you read my responses, you can rest assured, I don't know enough about computers to fix it without using trial and error. Hopefully your parents will have an easy time getting onto Win 10.

In a nut shell, I had Win 10 and Win 7 was very not showing up. After keying around, I was able to get the three or four dots at the top of the screen of Win 10 to allow me to get into Explorer and Win 7 popped up as it was originally. The Win 10 screen was toggling between the Win 10 Blocks and a Very bland in color screen with little information like I was getting only part of Win 7. If you can make any sense out of what I said, you are good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search