Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 3, 2015, 07:40 AM
    I opted out of those and unchecked the settings I didn't want changed. My laptop is almost like a bigger version of my Android just with a keyboard.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2015, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Has any one found "Favorites" or does one have to redo them? Is there a tutorial for Win 10?

There is an "import favorites" that worked great for me. Not sure where it was, I remember it in the top right hand corner of the page. Plenty of tutorials also.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 3, 2015, 01:52 PM
    I tried to get to first base with Win 10 and I struck out. Has any one found "Favorites" or does one have to redo them? Is there a tutorial for Win 10? It would be nice to have a window that looks something like Win 7 I am dumb as a pile of rocks when it comes to computers.

From an article I read it does not bring over your favorites list. But if it created a folder called winold or something like that. Open it and go to users and you will find your favorites folder in there. By clicking the links in it you will go to those sites.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2015, 03:15 PM
    Name:  hub.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  17.4 KB

If you click hub (top circle) then click import favorites in 10's browser it should work. It did for me at least.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 3, 2015, 04:49 PM
    Thanks, I might have to resort to my Grandsons to get me up to speed with Win 10
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 8, 2015, 05:39 AM
    It came in as an update and I have it installed on 2 machines. Win7 - win10 and the other win8.1 - win10. I hate that the first thing you need to do is turn off a bunch of crap that impedes on your privacy. It should be off by default.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2015, 07:10 AM
    Yes well that's Microsoft but it is better than the alternative Apple which is about to implode
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 8, 2015, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes well that's Microsoft but it is better than the alternative Apple which is about to implode
    Implode, and why ? Why be so critical without explaining yourself ?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2015, 03:01 PM
    I gather that Apple have released a worm designed to fix a software bug which in itself is destructive
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2015, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I gather that Apple have released a worm designed to fix a software bug which in itself is destructive

Do you have a link to a story or something to look at ? In doing a search the closest thing I could find was from 2014. That only applied to 2 of apple's OS's.

Aug 9, 2015, 12:50 PM
    Okay, after many hours of trial and error I am working with Win 10. So, I am now on the Win 7 Screen which I love, how the hell do I switch to the Win 10 screen and back to the Win 7 screen without me taking another 2 or 3 hours to get this far? They must think that everyone who has a computer is a rocket scientist. (Not Me).

PS, I do believe, I got is working with that little guy down in the left hand corner bottom of screen.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2015, 04:46 PM
    In the corner you will see what looks like a 4 pane window where your start button used to be.

In clicking that it leads you to your desktop and to your apps. By clicking it (left click) it switchs back and forth between them. To close windows or to see other features right click on it and a list should appear. In that list is also where you turn your maching off near the lower end of the list. To get out of other windows / apps you can go to the top of the screen and a bar should appear. Clicking the X closes it.

Aug 9, 2015, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    In the corner you will see what looks like a 4 pane window where your start button used to be.

In clicking that it leads you to your desktop and to your apps. By clicking it (left click) it switchs back and forth between them. To close windows or to see other features right click on it and a list should appear. In that list is also where you turn your maching off near the lower end of the list. To get out of other windows / apps you can go to the top of the screen and a bar should appear. Clicking the X closes it.
    What you say is so, thanks. I have the Win 10 screen and instead of the Win 7 window, I have the screen that appears to be Win 10 with the only difference is I have the favorites across the third line as they did appear on Win 7. I am happy with what I have right now. Not sure if it is right or not but good to go I feel.
    Been a long day of trial and error. Not a total waste, I have learned something.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2015, 06:59 PM
    What you say is so, thanks. I have the Win 10 screen and instead of the Win 7 window, I have the screen that appears to be Win 10 with the only difference is I have the favorites across the third line as they did appear on Win 7. I am happy with what I have right now. Not sure if it is right or not but good to go I feel.
    Been a long day of trial and error. Not a total waste, I have learned something.

Learning is a good thing and knowing that if you need help you know exactly where to ask ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2015, 04:12 AM
    My laptop is now running Win 10. Boy were there a lot of default settings to change for privacy and bandwidth issues.
    Going to image the desktop first (it's our gaming machine) and do that one next.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 10, 2015, 05:08 AM
    This morning had to reboot when I lost use of the mouse (have touch screen too). Reboot hung, and I had to unplug.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2015, 05:48 AM
    Oh the joys of an early adopter
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 10, 2015, 07:01 AM
    I have installed on two computers, my wife's and my own. Both are about 4 years old or so (motherboard/mem/video age). The only issue I had was that the video driver didn't work out of the box. I had to download the drive from nvidia to get my dual monitors to work, and her monitor to show the right size. Haven't had any issue otherwise. The boot up takes more and less time to become stable, if that makes sense. It took win 7 about 30-90s to finish all its login tasks before it settled down and you could run with out lag. With win10 the lag is spread out a little longer but programs are more responsive during that boot lag. Given that I reboot my computer about once a month, this isn't an issue for me.

I have noticed that Win10's garbage collector (Mem management) is a little better, Firefox hasn't hung or imploded yet.

I am trying to use the new features of it instead of just getting it to emulate Win7 (or winXP). There are some slick features, and I wouldn't mind figure out more of it. The upgrade didn't affect much of the software that I am using right now. I think though, if I have time in the next few months, I am going to do a soft rebuild of my machine and try a clean install instead of the upgrade. Just get rid of a bunch of stuff.

paraclete. Being an early adopter means that you can sort out all the tools and programs you need. Gives you a head start of getting or developing what you need going forward. Instead of praying that your win95 box that has a critical piece of software doesn't die on you. I have always been the first to try out the new ios, and OSs for my desktop.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 10, 2015, 12:20 PM
    And now it's just got even better...

How to enable the legendary 'God Mode' in Windows 10 for all the settings | Windows Central
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2015, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Guess what I'll be doing tonight... on my laptop, The only thing I've allowed to update to win 10 so far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search