Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2015, 05:01 AM
    Use VLC for a video player!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 31, 2015, 08:54 AM
    Win 10 seems to be slowing down any app such as Scrabble because of 'waiting for' various things to do with mobile that I haven't seen before... anyone have any idea how to disable anything to do with mobile?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2015, 09:32 AM
    Thinking I'm going to stay with 8 for a while. I don't use a touch screen but find I don't need to use all those apps . I do all my work from Desktop
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2015, 03:22 PM
    I'm with you Tom why should this change be forced upon us. I don't have an internet connection so Microsoft can access my computer anytime they like
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 31, 2015, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I'm with you Tom why should this change be forced upon us. I don't have an internet connection so Microsoft can access my computer anytime they like

It is not by force. Its is free if you want it but you dont have to take it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2015, 07:31 PM
    Really, what updates do you think will be available for windows 7 or windows 8? This is the update and they are forcing abandonment of XP. There are businesses who have not upgraded for years because their software is not going to work on this platform. As a business I cannot afford my proprietary software to be compromised or fail to work

Aug 1, 2015, 06:29 AM
    Para, they aren't "forcing" abandonment of XP. They just won't provide support for it. A bit of a different thing. But why should people stay with old technology? Every version of software has a shelf life. Companies can't afford to support a piece of software indefinitely and I see no reason that they should be required to. Microsoft is giving people a full year to upgrade to 10.

My boss has been running Win 10 for 2 months now. Every one of the programs we use has run without issue under Win 10. It is up to the vendors of your proprietary software to test and upgrade their software to run under new OSes.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 1, 2015, 09:50 AM
    I agree with Scott. Maybe what you should try para is installing it on a remote machine and running your software under it to see how it works for you before you complain about it not working.

I have had to apply a few tweaks on occasion for some software that was designed to run under Win 3.1 because I had to use it. Atleast with this all your going to lose is time because the software is free.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2015, 06:21 PM
    Yes I just keep an extra machine hanging around so I can test Microsoft updates, I am fed up with the idea that it is all or nothing with Microsoft
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 04:09 AM
    Yes I just keep an extra machine hanging around so I can test Microsoft updates, I am fed up with the idea that it is all or nothing with Microsoft

It is not all or nothing. You have a year to decide so long as your machine qualifies. All or nothig is Apple. MS has always been backward compatable since the begining.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2015, 05:31 AM
    I have programs that no longer work
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 05:51 AM
    My windows 7 has been updating regularly for years. You do have auto updates engaged on your machine don't you, Clete? I think windows 10 is an upgrade, not an update.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 12:38 PM
    I have programs that no longer work

What OS were they designed to run on ?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2015, 03:23 PM
    Pre windows XP
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 05:35 PM
    Pre windows XP
    3.11, win 95 ??? DOS ?

Maybe we can help you with getting it running.

I had to run an old program designed under win 3.1 with a windows 7 machine and I got it running fine for what I needed.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2015, 10:56 PM
    Win 95, there was a utility that converted the files in win 98 but that disappeared in vista but technology moves on my windows 8 tablet doesn't.t have a CD drive so the whole thing becomes academic as I see no point in buying an external drive for it

Aug 3, 2015, 05:13 AM
    It is kind of wishful thinking to expect utilities built 20 years ago to work with current hardware and software. And there is no reason to buy an external drive for your tablet. You can simply connect to another machine and use their drive, or copy the contents of the drive as an ISO to a flashdrive or other PC.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2015, 05:29 AM
    Yes I have tried copying on to a flashdrive, no luck. As far as utilities built a long time ago still working my copy of Quickbooks still works at least on windows 7. I prefer the way Office 2003 is designed and I don't wish to lose that facility even though I can use later versions. I'm the sort of person Microsoft wants out of the system because they make no money from me out of upgrades
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 3, 2015, 06:38 AM
    I tried to get to first base with Win 10 and I struck out. Has any one found "Favorites" or does one have to redo them? Is there a tutorial for Win 10? It would be nice to have a window that looks something like Win 7 I am dumb as a pile of rocks when it comes to computers.
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2015, 07:20 AM
    Windows 8 works off the desktop and I expect windows 10 will do the same It's okay when you get used to it but there a lot of useless apps come with it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search