Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morrisma Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2015, 01:15 PM
    Symmons Temptrol diverter has no flow on shower setting
    I have a Symmons Temptrol model A if the online pictures are correct. (Tricorner handle and diverter lever below it.)

I get full flow to the tub with the diverter to the left. When I move it to the right for shower, it is a gamble whether I will get any flow from the shower at all. I often have to go back to full tub several times before I hit the 'sweet spot' to get flow from the shower and once set, the flow can stop without any additional contact. (Usually when I have soap on my face.) If I move the diverter all the way right, there will be no flow at all. When I do get flow, it seems to be quite a bit less than what comes out of the tub faucet.

There are no leaks. I have a Moen shower sprayer on flexible hose for a shower head.

What can I replace to get the shower to work reliably and with more force?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2015, 02:51 PM
    Hi Morrisma

Remove the handle and the trim plate (remove screws) and pull the trim plate and diverter handle forward and out. Remove the diverter handle from the trim (inspect how the handle connects to the trim plate so you reinstall later) and slip it into the diverter aligned properly. Move the diverter handle and you will probably see the handle engage and rotate the diverter, but I'm betting that it will kind of slip and not rotate the diverter when moving the handle to the shower position. If this is the case, you can try simply replacing the diverter handle (available everywhere). If that doesn't work then the diverter itself is defective and you'll need to purchase a new diverter and some tools to fix that.

This valve is very easy to repair... just need to know what parts and tools are needed. Inspect the diverter handle and post back and we'll see if we can help more, OK?

Mark

Jul 28, 2015, 03:17 PM
    Will try this as soon as I can.

Aug 1, 2015, 05:40 PM
    Replaced the diverter. Still cannot get a smooth transition from tub to shower. Full right which should be full shower is off. No tub or shower
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 2, 2015, 02:44 PM
    What color was the replacement diverter stem... was it white or black? If you installed the black diverter you purchased the wrong one... need your replacement diverter to be WHITE (black is for shower stall). If you installed the proper diverter then remove the shower head and check to see if it is clogged. Report back...

Mark

Aug 3, 2015, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    What color was the replacement diverter stem... was it white or black? If you installed the black diverter you purchased the wrong one... need your replacement diverter to be WHITE (black is for shower stall). If you installed the proper diverter then remove the shower head and check to see if it is clogged. Report back...

Mark
    Mark,

I used the white one. I also checked the back pressure on the shower head and that turned out to be the problem. If I removed the shower head, all worked okay. When I re-installed the shower head it failed. The head is one of those adjustable pattern thins. I picked the one with the highest flow and it works.
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symmons temptrol diverter very difficult to turn [ 10 Answers ]

My Symmons temptrol model A has an issue with diverter, two actually, it is very difficult to turn, and even when I turn it as far as I can to the shower setting no water comes out of the shower. I have looked around the site and the image that keeps being shown for the temptrol is slightly...

Symmons temptrol diverter - shower will not come on [ 5 Answers ]

My diverter is not working (water will not come out of shower - it only comes out of tub spout when I turn T-31). I have read helpful suggestions from MARK on how to replace the diverter spindle(T-21C and TA-25B/TA-25A). My question is: Before I try to replace diverter spindle, I want to know...

Symmons temptrol diverter repair? [ 5 Answers ]

Is is possible to adjust the new diverter once it has been installed? The shower will only come on when the diverter is moved to the middle.

Symmons - Temptrol Diverter [ 22 Answers ]

I have the above diverter in my bathroom. Recently it started to leak from the diverter handle that changes the use from tub to shower. I purchased the Symmons TA-25A Iverter Spindle to replace old. My problem is that I do not know how to remove the old spindle. Can anyone help me with my problem?

SYMMONS Temptrol leaking from diverter [ 1 Answers ]

Symmons sent the replacement seats and tools to repair a leak from the diverter hole that happens only when water is turned on. I replaced the seats, tightening by hand stopping short of cranking them. (I didn't use a torque wrench). Three times I removed them and adjusted them, but the...

View more questions Search