Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katti63 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2015, 08:32 AM
    I have a small stray cat that had kittens, how do I know if they're alive?
    I live in the country and 3 wild cats showed up in November. One is female and very small. Finally after six months she let me touch her. Now she is very affectionate. She just had kittens 3 days ago. I can't find them. How do I know if she is nursing them or if they are even alive. Her tits aren't very big. And the other two cats are male. I'm afraid they killed them.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2015, 08:41 AM
    You will have to watch her and see where she goes. If you intend to keep her, have her spayed.

Jul 25, 2015, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You will have to watch her and see where she goes. If you intend to keep her, have her spayed.
    I've tried following her she goes into the woods out back all I found was mosquitos! I'm want to know if because she is so small if her teats should be small also.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 09:13 AM
    If you're feeding her and she trusts you, she will very possibly bring her kittens to meet you when they are able to walk well. That's what a stray we named Lady Jane Grey did -- brought us her five kittens when they were maybe a month old.

If she deliberately goes to the woods after you feed her, the kittens are probably still alive.

Jul 25, 2015, 09:17 AM
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If you're feeding her and she trusts you, she will very possibly bring her kittens to meet you when they are able to walk well. That's what a stray we named Lady Jane Grey did -- brought us her five kittens when they were maybe a month old.

If she deliberately goes to the woods after you feed her, the kittens are probably still alive.
    Thank you!! But I'm also afraid the male cats killed them!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 09:30 AM
    If she is returning to get food and then disappearing back into the woods, she is probably taking care of kittens. Instinct will tell her to hide them and keep the males and other predators away.

At this point, if you did track her to her den, she would probably move the kittens.

Make certain she can get to food and water, then trust her to take care of them. If you have known her since November and she was older than four months old then, this is probably not her first litter.

I know it is worrying, but she knows what she is doing.

I suggest checking into low cost spaying if you want to try to keep her.

Jul 25, 2015, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    If she is returning to get food and then disappearing back into the woods, she is probably taking care of kittens. Instinct will tell her to hide them and keep the males and other predators away.

At this point, if you did track her to her den, she would probably move the kittens.

Make certain she can get to food and water, then trust her to take care of them. If you have known her since November and she was older than four months old then, this is probably not her first litter.

I know it is worrying, but she knows what she is doing.

I suggest checking into low cost spaying if you want to try to keep her.
    She was just a kitten when she showed up in November and I live in ND so we put a heat lamp in a shed to keep them warm!! She wouldn't let me touch her until May. Definitely will get her spayed. She is such a sweet little thing. Thank you for the advice!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 4, 2015, 04:15 PM
    Once the kittens are older she will likely bring them around to get food. If you have a human society in your area, once she brings the kittens round, contact them. They'll capture, immunize, spay or neuter, and then find them good homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell if a stray cat is pregnant or had kittens [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live on a small farm with a few barns. We have a few cats that live there, all fixed except one male who is feral. We found a new stray that is extremely friendly, who has been living here for a few months. It is a female, probably about 3-5 years old. I know nothing about her except that...

Has stray cat given birth ? What are signs a cat has just had kittens? [ 6 Answers ]

She's about 8 weeks along. A few days ago her belly was very hard, and she was very affectionate. Now her belly isn't as hard, and she's not affectionate at all. Also I haven't ever been able to feel movement in her belly. Is it possible she already had her babies? She really hasn't left our...

A stray cat just had kittens [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Im New Here, Im Pretty Sure That A Stray Cat That Come S On My Back Porch Has Just Had Kittens And I Was Wondering If The Kittens Start Following There Mom After A Sertain Period, Im Hopping That She Will Bring Them To My Back Porch When She Comes And Eats So I Can't Bring Them To A Shelter....

Stray cat- is she pregnant or did she have kittens already? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Four days ago I stumbed upon a small cat who appears to be pregnant. She is very sweet, skinny, and hungry. I fed her outside for about 3 days and just decided to bring her inside today. My concern is whether she has had kittens or is still pregnant. I couldn't find kittens anywhere, but...

View more questions Search