Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2015, 03:20 PM
    Term life insurance coming to an end
    My husband is 58 and has had multiple strokes in the past. He had a flap in his brain that was opening and closing which caused the strokes. His blood pressure and cholesterol are excellent. The doctor put in a stent to keep the flap open and now he is fine. He is on meds and is doing very well. As long as he stays on his meds, does not seem like he will have another stroke.

His insurance agent just told him his term life insurance will expire in 3 years and will not likely be renewed because of his health. Even if it is renewed, the premiums will skyrocket.

My question - even though he had several strokes, is that considered a "current" illness? To me, the strokes are in the past and he is doing well and I wouldn't consider him currently sick. His agent said he'll check on this but I was wondering if anyone had any advice. We really need his life insurance as if he dies, I will be left will lots of debt and we were counting on his life insurance. He feels awful that his family will not be taken care of.

Any advice on getting new insurance for someone who has had strokes in the past?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 24, 2015, 04:49 PM
    I would look for a new insurance agent.
    Term life through an agent? You can get it online or through a bank or any number of ways, without a commission.
    I haven't heard of term life being renewed. The whole point of term life is that it is cheap but it expires at a certain time.

You need to explore all the other options available. I personally would not buy any insurance at age 58 (or 62!). It will be too expensive.
    You are better off putting money into something like a Roth IRA.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2015, 06:41 PM
    A few term life policies have renewal terms, but most require new medical exams and health backgrounds. Some have riders, (things you buy when you get your policy) that can allow renewals.

Prior strokes are still part of his medical history and life insurance is based on many things, and estimates on how long he will live. Prior strokes are often viewed with the possible of future strokes.

Any life insurance, even term, will be very costly at 58. Past or present medical issues will cause that price to be higher.

The issue with it being considered "current" is his taking the medication. The taking of the medication is current, and related to the strokes, so the illness is still ongoing. He has never been "cured" but in reality is still being treated.
    This is at least the way, I have know insurance companies to relate to it.

Also how much, as noted I have maybe 100,000 though my bank and American Legion that required no medical questions at all (that I remember)
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2015, 07:04 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens at the end of a term life insurance policy? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm thinking about purchasing a life insurance policy. The term insurance is cheaper of course. I understand that it lasts for however long a term you designate. What happens to a 10 year policy on the 11th year. Do you get any of your payments back?

Alumni Group plan term life insurance for 10 or 20 years. [ 2 Answers ]

I received an offer for an alumni term group life insurance plan. A 10 or 20 year plan with coverage from $100,000 to $1,000,000. (level premiums, guaranteed to age 75) If I don't die within the 10 or 20 years what happens when the policy matures? Do I get the $100,000 (if that is the term I...

Life (Term) Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website or tel no to call where you can get ratings or info that helps you to check out Insurance Companies for life (TERM) insurance before you decide to transact with them? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How did I end up in the life insurance business? Need advise [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm 26 from las vegas. Went to unlv, got a finance degree. Good gpa 3.6ish. Right after college I joined a life insurance company and did financial planning sales for 2.5 years. Left there with a bunch of debt and now work for a life insurance brokerage. Make 40k mostly salaray, little...

View more questions Search