Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sararunfast Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2015, 01:11 PM
    Black silt in toilet bowl
    Within the past few days there has been black silt in the toilet bowl. It does coat everywhere under the water and does flush away, but comes back. Our well is 475 deep and new as of 2 years ago. Not noticing silt anywhere else but in the toilet. Only recent change is the addition (which I do yearly) of the enzyme stuff to keep the tank clean. Dogs do not have access and there is the normal rusty/sludgy color in the tank. Toilet doesn't have quite the 'flush power' it used to, though. Oh - house is 30 years old and system has never needed to be pumped/cleaned. We are not home much so the toilet is not used as much as it might be if there were a large family. I
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2015, 05:11 PM
    If the silt is only noticed in the toilet bowl, I would suspect a deteriorating flapper.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2015, 09:38 AM
    Take your hands and feel the flapper. If they come away black, replace the flapper. Check the water level in the tank ( water pressure) it should be 1/2 inch below the top of the white over flow tube. Also, you might check the small jet hole in the toilet to see if it completely clear. If it isn't scrape and remove the build up.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silt in tub and toilet [ 8 Answers ]

Will a worn out water softener make silt in my bathtub and toilet bowl

Toilet bowl that won't hold water, started with slow toilet, now non flushing [ 1 Answers ]

What started as a slow toilet, now non flushing except 1-2 times in morning, has turned into a toilet bowl that won't hold water but the tank still does. The tub is first on the line, then the toilet, then 30' to septic tank. Snaked through the vent, got a lot of greasy goo, but still toilet...

Toilet bowl turns black and smells like sulfur. City sewage. Tank clear no odor [ 0 Answers ]

Background: Recently bought a home. Has a well that seems to be only connected to outdoor faucet. Also has a soft water system but we can't turn it on because a hose to the washer from the soft water unit has no where to connect. We are connected to the city sewage and water system. Question: If...

Cracked toilet bowl & low water level in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, So I've got two questions regarding two toilets and would appreciate any and all help as I can't afford someone to come in at this point to fix it for me. 1. I managed to drop a crystal (decoration) ball into the toilet which cracked the bowl so a chunk of the porcelain just fell...

Why is refill into toilet bowl from bowl rim holes so sloppy? [ 12 Answers ]

Help! I have removed the old ball float from my toilet system and installed a fluidmaster and since I've done that the water coming out of the holes underneath the rim of the bowl literally plopps out of the holes in a straight line and splashes up on the toilet seat and... well if your sitting...

View more questions Search