Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    proudmom14 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2015, 12:56 PM
    How can you find out if someone is in a union?
    Do all Local unions have a listing of all members? Where would you find such information? Such as Local 501, IBEW 11, ILWU13, etc. I
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 23, 2015, 01:26 PM
    They do have a member listing, however I doubt that they will simply hand that information out.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2015, 02:04 PM
    Why would you need that information? Unions know who is in their union...but that information isn't something a random individual would have the right to know.

Jul 23, 2015, 10:24 PM
    Thank you both for the answers.

My reason for asking: research.

Have a great evening.
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2015, 11:01 PM
    You are welcome. Just an FYI... I am a member of a Union.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2015, 11:20 PM
    And I was proud to be one, during the time I could. If for example, you are wanting to hire them, they can provide you a union card. So if you ask someone, they will tell you, and you can ask for proof, if you are hiring them for work.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 24, 2015, 02:34 AM
    I am in one of the best healthcare unions !
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 24, 2015, 08:59 AM
    I'm IBEW! Woot!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2015, 01:17 PM
    Does this have something to do with the custody battle between the father of your children? If so, you ask the court to require he present his union credentials.

Jul 24, 2015, 05:13 PM
    Once again, thank you. Yes, it is in regards to pending case (I do not want any $$$ from him).

I would like to prove to the court how he has the ability to work but chooses not to. He is a "casual" longshoreman and I had no luck in finding out if he is a registered member.

I am a proud member of IBEW!
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2015, 05:20 PM
    Being in a Union doesn't mean you have work now or even work available. Maintaining union membership when you are not working just gives you a leg up on new hires that aren't part of the union yet. And it prevents loss of seniority.

Proving he is actually working is something else....and you could get the cort to order that information from his employer.

But if you aren't after money....then what are you after? If its just to be vengeful or spiteful it will work against your interests.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2015, 06:06 PM
    I will agree, if you want to prove he is union member, then require the court to make him show his union membership.

But again union membership does not mean he has a job. It can mean he has union dues to pay, without a job. I know many unemployed union members.

And to be blunt, we are not mind readers, if you need specific information, and this regarded another question, you needed to have noted what it was about. Your question was very vague without the other information.

And this is a good question, if it is not about the money, why do you need to prove anything to the court. The court does not make him work, they do not care if he "could" work. If he is working, and being paid, then you will have to find and prove it in court. (to get money)

Proving he prefers not to work, will not effect custody or visitation.

Jul 24, 2015, 10:49 PM
    Once again, thank you. As mentioned before, I am just doing research, I was hoping to find out information before asking the court. Apologies, this should be in a different forum.

It does matter if he is a registered member as his salary would be much more then a non-member. This info would be to show the court how much he is capable of making, yet chooses not to. FYI: The court can order him to seek work and/or impute what he is capable of earning. He is asking me to pay him over $1k for C/S even though we share custody. I don't need any $$ from him, so why should I give him my hard earned $$ when he is capable of making just as much or even more per year. This is going in a totally different direction.

Once again, APOLOGIES to all and THANK YOU.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2015, 11:22 PM
    Actually lots of men say that same thing every day, you are in the rare position where the tables have turned.

The point Fr_Chuck was making (I think), is the court can't force them to find and take the highest paying job they theoretically can earn anymore than they can force the mother when it's the other way around. It never seems fair to the person who ends up having to pay the other. And in cases where there are bitter disputes.. its common for people to NOT make their best effort... or many times even if they do... finding that theoretically highest paying option is like finding an Albino Rhino in the wild. Knowing one is out there, and actually finding and getting it are two very different things.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2015, 05:30 AM
    You are taking the wrong tactic. As noted a court can't force someone to find work. All you can do is prove to the court that he is healthy and can work.

There is another issue here. Child support is to cover expenses involved in the care of your children. If you have joint custody then he needs to care for them. You shouldn't be doing things that affect your children because of your issues with their father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can union member start union shop [ 4 Answers ]

Can a union member open a union shop?

A union job [ 4 Answers ]

A dedicated Teamsters union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels. When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, "Is this a union house?" "No," she replied, "I'm sorry it isn't." "Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?" ...

Union or non union [ 9 Answers ]

What are the advantages of not being in a union?

World in Union [ 1 Answers ]

Im am looking for the song "world in union" sung by P.J. Powers for the 1995 rugby world cup. :cool:

Union and non-Union works [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Union and non-union works in a Tool and Die industry? :confused:

View more questions Search