Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jul 19, 2015, 02:44 PM
    A better Diabetic Drink
    Being Diabetic, was just wondering if there is something out there, besides plain water that I can buy? Water is great, but sometimes one wants something other than Diet Soda. Trying to get away from drinking 5-6 per day. Any choices? Missing to many brain cells as it is.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 19, 2015, 05:04 PM
    You can drink what you want as long as you read the labels to see how much sugar is in the drink. I am a type 2 diabetic and drink whatever I want but no Pepsi or coke. My fasting blood work is in the normal range.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2015, 08:33 AM
    Tick-How about Sprite Zero? No sugar or Caffiene
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2015, 08:56 AM
    If you can curb the diet sodas, all the better. Crystal Light and iced tea with or without artificial sweetener are options as well. There are a number of flavored waters available as well... just read labels. Much of it will be trial and error and see what happens with your levels.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jul 20, 2015, 09:10 AM
    Also trying to do away with the Brain Cell Killer "Aspartame".
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2015, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Also trying to do away with the Brain Cell Killer "Aspartame".
    Likely a good idea.....at least watch the amount. People react differently to different sweeteners, and this holds true for diabetics as well. Personally, I stick with very limited amount of sugar over artificial sweeteners. Do you like hot tea? There are different flavors. Another good option is to make your own smoothies or vegetable juices. That way you can limit the ingredients and the amounts that you want.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2015, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Tick-How about Sprite Zero? No sugar or Caffiene
    Possibly aspartame. Stevia sweetener is natural. OP could make iced tea and use Stevia as the sweetener.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 23, 2016, 06:06 AM
    (This post is a bit too old to drag out, but it's a good topic.)

I would stay away from ALL sodas, diet or not. Diabetics have enough problems without including artificial ingredients that aren't fully understood.
    I 'flavor' water with juices, usually real grape or real apple cider, about 2 tablespoons for every 12 ounces of water.
    On very hot days, just real lemon juice in water, no sweetener.
    Arran Alston Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2016, 10:49 AM
    It is always advisable for a diabetic patient to avoid anything that contains added sugar, caffeine, alcohol and any kind of hydrated drink. It is best to make your own fresh fruit juice and carry it around. Apart from that you can have milk and soya milk shake, add honey and nuts into it put in freezer and you will have a healthy drink.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2016, 01:49 PM
    Honey is still a sugar... your body will see it as such. And many fruit juices have just as much if not more sugar as regular soft drinks have. They will of course at least have some nutritional benefit the soda doesn't have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My pit bull won't eat or drink how to I get him to at least drink [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 and a half pit is sick and has a cough his caugh is better but he still won't eat and drink what can I do

ETG Test 1 drink 40 hours since the drink for testing [ 2 Answers ]

Dr Bill I had an ETG test Monday at 4:30pm due to a custody dispute I seldom drink but had one glass of wine Saturday at 7pm with a meal. I drink plenty of water, exercise and am healthy do you expect I will pass the test given it was only slightly over 40 hours since the drink? I had not had any...

I have a type 1 diabetic dog who became diabetic due to steroids and needs to gain [ 1 Answers ]

Since being a type 1 diabetic she went from 15 pounds to 13 pounds. She is a mix breed of a Silky Terrier and a Yorkie. Her ideal weight is 14 1/2 pounds and need to gain weight. She delveloped type 1 diabetes due to steroids for a skin condition and not due to obesity. We have her on W/D, which...

I am 5 1/2 month pregnant can I drink a supplement drink to help me sleep? [ 8 Answers ]

The ingrediants are valerian root extract, lemon balm extract, chamomile flower extract, rhizome, passion flower extract and melatonin. My uncle gave it to me to help me sleep and I just need to know if its safe.

My dog won't drink water. He's afraid. How do I get him to drink? [ 7 Answers ]

My dog recently has been sick. He started throwing everything up. I went to the vet, and they gave me some anti-vommit pills for him. I've been feeding him rice with a little hamburger in it for the last two days. The problem is he won't drink water. The last two times he tried before I took...

View more questions Search