Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JakeTurner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2015, 03:35 PM
    How to fill form 843 (address, Original return, refund option)?
    Hi,
    I'm filling form 843, because Medicare and Social security taxes were erroneously withheld by my employer. I worked as a J-1 student in 2014.

What address do I have to fill? Does it have to be an address in the USA or can I fill address from abroad (in Europe)?

What should I check on line 6 (Original return) as a J-1 visa holder? I have found that F-1 students should check option "941". Should I check the same option?

If IRS approves my refund, how do I get the money? Do they send me a check to the address I filled?

Thank you very much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 04:05 PM
    Yes, check Form 941.

You CAN file from Europe, and you can put your European address. They will mail the refund check to that address.

Be prepared to wait. Before the budget cuts, such reviews typically took 6-12 months. Now, it could take 1-2 YEARS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if I sent form 843 (for refund) to wrong address? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I filed form 843 to request for social security tax refunds for year 2009 (I'm currently working on my OPT and they were held due to error). I sent form 843 on 19th March to following address (which I think is not the right address, but I'm not sure): Department of the Treasury...

Form 843,social security tax refund [ 4 Answers ]

How long will it take for me to get my social security medicare taxes refund? I filed the Form 843 and Form 8316 on 22nd March,2009. I know they are processing my case but I was wondering how long it takes to actually receive the refund.

Form 843 (F1- OPT) refund [ 2 Answers ]

I came to US in 2001 and worked on F1-visa (optional practical training) in 2004. But I did not file a tax return. I am filing 1040NR before the deadline in April this year. My question is I want to file form 843 to get my FICA taxes refunded as they were withheld. Is the statute of limitations...

Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes. I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2...

View more questions Search