Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2015, 09:10 AM
    Vent pipe bangs with hot water from sink only
    I live on the top floor of a condo rowhouse with 3 units below. When running the hot water in the bathroom sink, after a few seconds the vent pipe behind the shower wall that goes up to the roof starts knocking/banging. It does not make noise with cold water from the sink, nor from the toilet. Running hot water in the shower does not make the noise. It only knocks from the sink hot water. On occasion, when units below run their water, the vent pipe bangs. We called a plumber out and they flushed the water line thinking that was the issue. It did not help. When on the roof you can clearly hear the noise from the vent pipe and lots of hot air comes up. We questioned whether the vent could have a clog but the plumber dismissed the idea. Can anyone help solve this mystery? Appreciate any feedback.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2015, 09:44 AM
    Describe the noise. Is it a loud tapping, a thumping noise? A bang that you can feel through the wall? Any other information you can give me?
    Waiting for response, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capped pipe coming out of the wall behind the drain, hot/cold water under kit sink? [ 6 Answers ]

There is pipe that is capped, coming through the wall behind the drain and hot/cold water pipes below the kitchen sink. What is this pipe? It leaks slightly whenever I run the dishwasher, which of course is connected to the drain. I don't want to take anything apart when I don't know what it is. I...

Pipe bangs when hot water is turned on. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I recently remodeled my bathroom, replacing the toilet, sink, vanity and shower. I didn't mess around with the copper supply lines that much with the exception of changing the shower valve from a 2 handle to a 1 handle. My problem is this: when I turn the shower on and turn the water to...

Flushed vent pipe, water came up through sink [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to do next: I have a sewer gas smell in my bathroom. I had the toilet replaced with a new flange and wax ring. That didn't take care of the problem, so I got up on the roof and flushed the vent pipe with the garden hose. It caused the...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

View more questions Search