Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Jul 15, 2015, 08:53 AM
    Sore throat question
    I have a sore throat only when I swallow. It's very painful to swallow and it hurts on the right side only. I don't feel sick at all. It happened the other day, I was taking a nap and woke up because I started coughing due to a tickle in my throat. What could be the cause of this? I have been trying to treat it but nothing is working. Any suggestions what this could be? Don't say go to the doctor please because I can't afford to go right now. Just suggestions. Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 09:04 AM
    Sorry, but the only way of diagnosing is having a swab done and if you want to avoid more pain, I would put my money where my throat is.

There are OTCs that mask the irritation but done cure.

Jul 15, 2015, 09:20 AM
    I know but most doctors are just in it for the money and don't give you the right diagnosis. I can hear one thing from one doctor and a different diagnosis from another. When I had strep they one doctor said it was just a cold and the other one said I had strep. Most of them just give you a result so you can leave the office feeling satisfied. They make you wait in the room for almost an hour and then they give you the result in minutes. Most of people don't seem they really care for our health and they are just in it for the money. That's why I really don't feel like wasting money if I'm not going to get the right results back.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2015, 09:37 AM
    Then you will have to suffer with a sore throat, we can't diagnose here and a sore throat can be the result of any number of things. Check your local Community Service, most have low cost help.

Jul 15, 2015, 10:08 AM
    I'm not saying diagnose me I'm saying suggestions as to what it might be.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by superstar18 View Post
    Too often, "suggestions" are the same as diagnoses. Then, when our remedies don't work, we get yelled at.

Jul 15, 2015, 11:56 AM
    Whose yelling? Suggestions aren't the same as diagnoses. They are both completely different.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 01:14 PM
    It could be anything from strep, a virus, allergies, etc. We can't see your throat, nor can we check your ears, glands, sinuses, etc. Try to find a low cost clinic.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 01:16 PM
    I have a sore throat only when I swallow. It's very painful to swallow and it hurts on the right side only. I don't feel sick at all. It happened the other day, I was taking a nap and woke up because I started coughing due to a tickle in my throat. What could be the cause of this? I have been trying to treat it but nothing is working. Any suggestions what this could be? Don't say go to the doctor please because I can't afford to go right now. Just suggestions. Thanks.
    If your throat has been sore for several days and your attempts to medicate it yourself are not working, then it is time to visit a doctor.

Only a doctor can run the tests to determine what is wrong.

Jul 15, 2015, 01:20 PM
    Thanks, I tried an allergy pill and it somewhat helped a bit. I'm going to just give it a week and see if it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    If your throat has been sore for several days and your attempts to medicate it yourself are not working, then it is time to visit a doctor.

Only a doctor can run the tests to determine what is wrong.
    I tried a few things like tea with honey and lemon. All I have been really doing is taking cough drops. I also tried marshmallows because I heard that the coating is supposed to help soothe the throat.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 01:53 PM
    It could be strep throat which, if left untreated, can cause rheumatic fever and/or kidney damage. It could be a common cold or allergies. OR, in the case of my mother, it could be a tumor.

Yes, a doctor is necessary.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2015, 02:21 PM
    Let's play a guessing game. My dear neighbor constantly dismissed his sore throat as "allergy, dust mites, something in the air" etc. BTW, I rarely saw him without a cigarette. Never went to the doctor. So, last Thanksgiving, he had a hard time eating. Was taken to his GP on Friday, sent for tests on Monday, diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer on Monday, deceased on Thursday. Roll the dice without a doctors visit.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 05:00 PM
    Get a grip, we can't tell you that is what we are saying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

I've had the worst sore throat for past 2 weeks the back of my throat has yellow bumps and streaks. The tissue around my tonsils is a red and purple color and my throat and neck feel tigt and burning. What could be possibble causes?

Sore throat [ 1 Answers ]

My throat has been hurting for almost 2 weeks and I'm not sick or feel sick. I'm not sure if I should be checked or not? I been eating ice cream and drinking water to smooth the pain. It goes away but after a few hrs it comes back again? What should I do?

Tired, dizzy, headache, sore bones, sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

Tired, dizzy, headache, sore bones, sore throat what are this symptoms of ?

My sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

:(I've been having a sore throat for more than a month does that mean maybe I have to remove my tunsils?

View more questions Search