Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloe1finn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2015, 08:33 AM
    Tax wittholding when surrendering life insurance
    I am doing a cash surrender of a life insurance policy. Should I let the insurer withhold the tax or should I elect NOT to go that route and wait until I get the 1099 and then pay the tax due at the time I file my tax return?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2015, 09:40 AM
    What type of life policy? You would only be liable for taxes on any investment gain, not what you put in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AZ State inherience tax on life insurance left to the wife [ 3 Answers ]

My husband died a few days ago and prior to his death, he assigned his life insurance policy to me. Will I be charged an inherience tax? What if any other taxes would I pay?

I have a life insurance maturing in Germany. Is there a tax shelter for it? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a life insurance maturing in Germany. I would like to move it and put it in a tax shelter such as an annunity. I am 65 and I want to save as much as I can. Do I have to pay taxes if I move the money to the US?

Is there an income tax on life insurance? [ 2 Answers ]

Do we have to pay income tax on life insurance?

Surrendering Life Policies [ 2 Answers ]

I have a paid-up Life Policy that matures in 2015 for £4300 if it matures at the rate of 3.75% I can surrender the policy now to the original insurance company for £3900 I have been told that I can sell it for a larger amount to another company. Is this true? If this is true,how do I find a...

Surrendering insurance policies and reporting gain (or loss) [ 6 Answers ]

I surrendered two insurance policies last year - one was a Whole Life policy and the other was a Variable Universal Life policy. The insurance company where I had the Whole Life policy sent me a 1099-R showing the gain on the policy, which I owe taxes on. The company where I had the Variable...

View more questions Search