Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haneesh17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2015, 07:27 PM
    Tax rates for OPT students in CA
    Hello,

I am an Indian student and came to the US in the last week of December, 2013. I have completed my Masters degree and am on OPT currently. I got a job in CA and my pay is $65k. I would like to know my tax deductions and the slab.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 14, 2015, 06:19 AM
    What's a "slab"? If you mean this, please be more specific with your question.

I see what OPT is from this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option...tical_Training

This may be helpful:

"The tax regime that applies to students under OPT depends on whether they qualify as resident aliens or nonresident aliens for tax purposes. The first five calendar years in student status (F-1) are exempt from the Substantial Presence Test used to determine eligibility for being a resident alien for tax purposes, after which approximately six months in the United States makes one a resident for tax purposes.
    Students who are nonresident aliens for tax purposes while on OPT are exempt from paying Social Security and Medicare taxes. On the other hand, students who are resident aliens for tax purposes while on OPT are required to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.
    Note that the requirement for paying Social Security and Medicare taxes for OPT employers differs subtly from the requirement for paying Social Security and Medicare taxes while engaged in on-campus employment in student status. For the latter, resident aliens in student status are also exempt from paying Social Security and Medicare taxes (per IRC Section 3121(b)(10)), whereas for the former, only nonresident aliens (based on the substantial presence test) are exempt from the taxes."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax help for opt students [ 1 Answers ]

I am a contractor on OPT and have been in the US for less than 5 years. My country of citizenship is India. My employer has deducted FICA and CA Dis from my pay. I know that I need not pay these taxes as I am on OPT - can I ask for a refund now or wait till I file my taxes next year ? Do I...

Federal tax percentage and md state tax for opt students [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am F-1 visa student, currently on OPT working in Maryland. My total income for an year is $48,000. I would like to know tax percentage for opt students on both federal and state tax(MD). Should I have to pay for ssn and medicare. Please let me know. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Payroll Tax for OPT students [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What are the payroll taxes for OPT students? Is it same like citizens and H1B Visa holders. Thx, VMR

Tax rates during OPT [ 1 Answers ]

I want to compare the tax benefits when somebody is on OPT as compare to when on H1B On an annual income of 60K. rksjava

Tax rates for F1 OPT Vs H1 [ 2 Answers ]

I am right now on F1 and might switch to OPT or H1 in January. Also, I am getting married in December or January to a permanent resident. 1. What are the tax rates I may have to pay if I am on OPT and on a H1? It's hard for me to stay on OPT because I have to study part time for one semester and...

View more questions Search