Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngelsInHerEyes Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2015, 03:16 PM
    I really don't like Bambi's father in Bambi II? Who else doesn't?
    While Bambi II isn't t a bad movie, I think his dad is a bit of an *** to him. I understand his wife died and although depressed over her death, he has to stay strong for the sake of Bambi, but I still view him as a take-life-too-seriously kind of guy. He didn’t really want to take his son into care although he simply just had to when there were no does around to look after him. He tells Bambi off for waking up late when Bambi had no idea this was the wrong thing to do (it’s not like he was doing this deliberately to spite his father). Next he refuses to let Bambi express his natural excitement and enjoyment; “A prince does not woo-hoo” and “A prince maintains control at all times” (note to self: maintain control over someone else’s feelings, yes) and he doesn’t like Bambi having an attitude to situations that clash with his. As an example, while they are watching the other deer in the meadow in the winter-time, the Great Prince gives Bambi a funny look just because Bambi remarked that standing over them from a distance “makes it harder to play with them” in contrast to his father’s opinion that it “makes it easier to spot danger”. Also when he can’t simply express a bit of emotion over his son’s achievements such as the jump Bambi made over a wide ledge and instead decides to maintain his overly rigid, composed self. For God’s sake, Bambi is still only a child and he’s putting too much pressure on his son to learn about the ways of princedom. That’s parents for you…..
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 12, 2015, 05:22 PM
    Sorry kiddo, you just don't get it, do you ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 12, 2015, 06:06 PM
    Seriously? This is animation and not reality in any way.
    AngelsInHerEyes Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2015, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Seriously? This is animation and not reality in any way.
    There's no need to talk to me like this when you don't know me Contrary to what you think, I'm actually fully aware it's a cartoon and I think IT DOES reflect how a parent might treat their child/children in real life. If you've seen the movie, how do you not sit there and think the Great Prince treats his son so coldly? It's unacceptable because Bambi is only little and doing his best in life but it's not his fault his father is so horrible and rigid and impatient. It bugs me because this is how a lot of parents treat their children in real life and I wish it would stop.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jul 14, 2015, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelsInHerEyes View Post
    There's no need to talk to me like this when you don't know me Contrary to what you think, I'm actually fully aware it's a cartoon and I think IT DOES reflect how a parent might treat their child/children in real life. If you've seen the movie, how do you not sit there and think the Great Prince treats his son so coldly? It's unacceptable because Bambi is only little and doing his best in life but it's not his fault his father is so horrible and rigid and impatient. It bugs me because this is how a lot of parents treat their children in real life and I wish it would stop.
    You Go Girl
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2015, 11:54 AM
    I see your point, but that was not how you phrased your original question.

Personally, I don't see a problem as this was how children were raised decades ago. Those children are now adults and take responsibility for their actions, versus today's children who are raised with a sense of entitlement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2015, 01:01 PM
    Bambi II was released in 2006. So it may not be reflective of an older culture. I don't recall the details of the movie, but there are many approaches to raising a child. Maybe the authors were trying to show what a rigid and strict upbringing would do to a child. I don't recall the stag as being horrible only that he had a position to maintain that his son would inherit. Children do need to learn responsibility.

As to your reaction to J_9's original post, how was she talking to you? When I originally saw this post my impression was of a very young person who got too involved in a simple animated movie.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 14, 2015, 02:54 PM
    AngelsInHerEyes - read this synopsis of the movie. I think it has an honest view of the fathers intentions...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi_II

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't know the bio father and a step father wants to adopt [ 5 Answers ]

Don't know the biological father and there is no name listed on the birth certificate. My husband wants to put his name on the certificate but the court said I needed the biological fathers consent and release of the child. Is there a way to go about doing this without the biological father to be...

Father doesn't know.. [ 29 Answers ]

So I found out that I was wrong with my dates and the man I thought was the father, turns out isn't.. I know who the father is but he has no idea that he may have a son who is 2 now. My son has an amazing father with my finacée and were happy but it's a question of morality.. do I tell the bio-dad...

I don't want to father some other man's kid but I don't want to leave my girlfriend [ 24 Answers ]

Me and my girl have been dating for five weeks, and yesterday she found out that she is pregnant, I am 18 the father is 17 and she is 16, she can't have the kid, I can't be a father this soon I want to be one but just not now, she can't throw away her future, and the father no matter how bad this...

Do You Live Next Door To Bambi Woods ? [ 1 Answers ]

Do you remember "Debbie Does Dallas",after making this film and a few others Bambi Woods disappeared from the public eye and was never seen again,she was romoured to have died from drug overdose in 86 but this was never proved.she proberbly still lives in USA ? Also with links to Melbourne...

Looking for a cartoon movie about an orphaned fawn (not Bambi) [ 2 Answers ]

When I was a little girl (in the early 80s) I watched an animated film about a fawn who loses his mother during a snowstorm. This is what I remember. They are walking together in the snowstorm looking for shelter. The fawn tells his mom that he's too tired and can't go on. His mother realizes...

View more questions Search