Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2015, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
    'People don't practice a faith they don't believe in'

I think some people do practice a faith they don't believe in, i think at least some go to church because there friends and family do, not because they have been brainwashed but because it may be a social norm.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing. Many people do not grow up with a foundation in faith. Some even turn away from believing for awhile often due to a life experience. Quite often, people learn more about God, and or have another life experience that then brings them to believing.

There can be many paths, come by at different times.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2015, 06:46 AM
    Practicing a faith you don't believe in, in some instances, is perpetuating an untruth basically against yourself.

I was raised Anglican and in adult years embraced the Wiccan way. It let me be myself in many respects and now stand by everything the Wiccan religion believes in and it is all encompassing.

Becoming Wiccan was a true choice for me. My higher power is everything around me not just one God.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jul 13, 2015, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
    Free will doesn't really answer the question. You can choose to follow or practice a religion freely but you can't choose to believe in it if you don't. It's like saying you choose to believe the world is flat while knowing full well that it isn't. So why do you think some have faith and others don't weather you practice faith or not?
    You answered your own question. It is a matter of choice. Knowing doesn't equate to believing.

I don't believe, I never really have. There has been no proof that anything exists beyond what I can perceive as a rational human being. My wife believes and always has because there is no proof that anything beyond what she believes as a rational human being DOESN'T exist. Take a solid and sealed Concrete box and two people. Person 1 believes that there is a ball in that sealed concrete box, but since they weren't there when it was sealed, they don't know if there is or not. Person two believes that there is nothing inside the concrete box, but since they weren't there when it was sealed, they don't know if there is or not. Who is right?

It doesn't matter. Both believe two different things about the box and neither can prove what is in the box. They both have faith about the contents of the boxes.

Just remember you are not right because no one is. Your faith and beliefs are solely that, yours. You have no right to dictate or try to change another person's faith or judge a person based upon it.
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

Jul 13, 2015, 01:09 PM
    I agree with smoothy! Its free will!

Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2015, 01:46 PM
    You won't impress an atheist with bible verses LOL.

Jul 14, 2015, 10:07 AM
    @KARMA, LOL! I am not trying to impress him. I just felt this word of God backing up my answer to him. :)

Jul 14, 2015, 10:16 AM
    @ palmer - Why do some people don't believe in God?
    Any thoughts!
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2015, 10:26 AM
    I just felt this word of God backing up my answer to him. :)
    Would choice verses from the Koran work to help you understand a concept?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 14, 2015, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    How about the Bhagavad Gita? Torah? Elder Edda? There's lots of religious writings available
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2015, 02:21 PM
    Agreed.

Jul 15, 2015, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Nope! It will not be of any help for me.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2015, 02:53 PM
    Nope! It will not be of any help for me.
    Well that's exactly what a non-christian would think of a bible verse.

Jul 15, 2015, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    How about the Bhagavad Gita? Torah? Elder Edda? There's lots of religious writings available
    Yes, there's a millions of religious writings available. But what I said or wrote was not based upon the religious part but My personal Relationship with God! and I can only speak for myself and according to my experiences in life.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious7 View Post
    Yes, there's a millions of religious writings available. But what I said or wrote was not based upon the religious part but My personal Relationship with God! and I can only speak for myself and according to my experiences in life.
    Which is all anyone can do. Also the reason I don't pay attention to preachers.

Jul 15, 2015, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Which is all anyone can do. Also the reason I don't pay attention to preachers.
    So? What's your point?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 15, 2015, 06:29 PM
    To each his own seems to be the whole point.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jul 16, 2015, 09:10 AM
    I don't believe in God. I believe in myself.

There are too many inconsistencies in the faith and that prevents me from joining a faith. The idea is awesome, comforting, and all that fluffy bull pucks, but it isn't the faith for me. I could write much more here, but a lot of my faith, being that of an atheist, is complicated and personal.

There is no right or wrong answer and no one can say that one answer is right over another. You pick what works for you and what lets you sleep at night and call it a day.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 16, 2015, 01:06 PM
    The joke runs: Religion is for those afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those of us who've been there.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2015, 01:15 PM
    That's good Cats.

Jul 16, 2015, 10:42 PM
    So, is it relationship with God, Spiritual relationship with God, is not Spirituality?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens to people that never hears about god [ 25 Answers ]

What happens to people that never hears about god

If people don't believe in God or a God what do they believe in? [ 65 Answers ]

If people don't believe in God or a God what do they believe in?

Does God force people to come in? [ 9 Answers ]

Apparently today's gospel lesson says so.:confused: Today's Gospel (Lk 14:15-24): One of those at the table said to Jesus, «Happy are those who eat at the banquet in the kingdom of God!». Jesus replied, «A man once gave a feast and invited many guests. When it was time for the feast he sent his...

Thank God for this sight and all the people that post [ 2 Answers ]

I have been asking question on this site for a few months now.I have been through the ups and downs ( mostly downs) of my ex leaving me.I tell you what wit out you guys I would still be having sleepless nights drinking none stop to hide the pain.With you guys I was able to take some of the advise...

View more questions Search