Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joy2theworld Posts: 72, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2015, 07:43 PM
    Job won't give me vacation time
    So I got a job at Dairy Queen (I'm 17) because I wanted to save money to go on a trip this summer with my family. On the interview I told the manager I would need a week off. I recently asked her how many weeks in advance she needed to know the exact dates. She acted totally confused as if I never told her. She said she isn't letting me take the week off. I'm not sure what to do considering I only got the job to save for the trip. Also it's a family trip and since I'm turning 18 next year this may be my last chance..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2015, 07:48 PM
    Then you quit. DQ isn't obligated to give you time off so soon after starting your position. Unless you are in a profession, your employer does not have to give you time off unless you are employed for at least an entire year b
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2015, 08:53 PM
    I'd quit as well... in fact I was in a similar situation with an early job and did just that. Go on the family trip, make great memories, and get a different job when you return. Family is far more important!

For future reference, as J_9 said, you often have to be working longer to get time off. Some places will honor a request when it is made known upon being hired, but they don't have to. Getting it in writing, if the situation comes up again, may encourage an employer to honor what they had previously agreed to.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2015, 08:57 PM
    I agree with J_9 and DoulaLC. You are almost certainly part time.. you unlikely have accrued that much leave if have recently started if you even HAVE any paid vacation or sick leave at all, which I highly doubt, and no employer gives it to you up front the first year even if you do have it. And even then, all leave time is at the discretion of management, PARTICULARLY unpaid time off.

You are an at-will employee. They can and likely will fire you if you take it without approval. Welcome to life and the real world. You will be dealing with this until you retire. Do what you want, but remember it carries consequences which will likely mean you will need to find another job elsewhere. And no you won't get to collect unemployment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2015, 05:49 AM
    There are a couple of issues here. I'm assuming that you do not expect to be paid for this time off. Paid vacation is a benefit that employer can give if they chose to but there is no law that says they have to.

On the other hand, as long as you don't expect to get paid, I would assume that giving enough notice should allow you to take the time off. I would go back to your manager and explain that you had informed him during the interview process that you would need this time off. That you were being very professional in asking how much lead time he would need. Explain that this is a family vacation and the primary reason you took this job was to earn money to go on this trip.

If he still refuses to let you off, then wait until 2 weeks prior to the trip and give him notice that you will be away for this time and if he won't allow you the time off, then consider this notice that you are resigning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between earned vacation time and vacation time on the books? [ 3 Answers ]

I get paid every two weeks. On my last pay stub my vacation hours totaled 39.91 hours. I have worked two additional weeks and have earned more 14 more hours but it will not be reflected on the "books" until the next payroll run. I am scheduled to take a week off next week and am being told that...

I just got a job offer. Should I ask for more vacation time, and if so, how? [ 1 Answers ]

They offered me 10% more than the salary I said that I wanted. I want to wrap this negotiation up pretty quickly because they start date is soon, and I want to give my current job as much notice as possible. Their standard benefits package includes 10 days of vacation accrued after the first...

Who do you call when your job won't give you your check [ 6 Answers ]

My previos job is refusing to give me my last check because I did not work on a sat. wich was after I told them in the beging of the week that I was not going to be able to come in that day because I had a wedding that I had to go to. So I am just wondering what I can do to get paid for mon....

19 year old [20 in jan] won't get a full-time job. [ 19 Answers ]

My 19 year old refuses to get a full-time job. He had a really good job and decided that the job wasn't good enough for him since most of the individuals he was employed with were much older than he was and they didn't seem to have anything going for them; at that point he ascertained that he would...

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

View more questions Search