Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zelta2139 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 01:07 AM
    Word 2003 Horizontal Line Bug
    I just cannot remove this horizontal line which word 2003 has inserted in my document. I also can't seem to highlight it.
    I have switched off auto format as you type 'border lines' but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried highlighting it (though it never seems to be selectable) and going to borders and shading ,and clicking no border, but it still doesn't work.

Is there any way of ever removing this line or making sure it never reappears, or is it just a permanent feature in word, therefore I should move to Open Office?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 01:19 AM
    The horizontal line is probably the one that separates the pages in the document. It helps you to know where you are located in the document.

Please try making a document and printing it out and see if the horizontal line is there.

Apr 11, 2007, 02:50 AM
    I've checked, no its not the page seperator.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 11, 2007, 03:56 AM
    Just out of interest, have you got any formatting marks turned on?

(Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks)
    Dale F Wiley Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zelta2139
    I just cannot remove this horizontal line which word 2003 has inserted in my document. I also can't seem to highlight it.
    I have switched off auto format as you type 'border lines' but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried highlighting it (though it never seems to be selectable) and going to borders and shading ,and clicking no border, but it still doesnt work.

Is there any way of ever removing this line or making sure it never reappears, or is it just a permanent feature in word, therefore I should move to Open Office?
    Hi Zelta2139,

You didn’t say if this line is on all new documents also which if it is then you need to modify Normal.dot or it will keep coming back with each new document.

Let’s try the easy solution first.

Open the document with the horizontal line.

Go to Edit, Select All

Then Format, Borders and Shading

On the Borders and Shading Window under Setting: select None

Under Apply to: click the down pointer and choose Text

Now click OK

Another way to select this line is to run the mouse pointer along the white area on the left side of the page and point to the line and press the left mouse button then press Delete on the Keyboard.

Good Luck.

Dale :-)

Apr 15, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Hi Dale, tried the first method, switching off borders and shading but unfortunately its still there.

Tried the second, but it 'skips over' it with a paragraph marker above and below, can't seem to select that line.
    Barbarah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Hi Dale, tried the first method, switching off borders and shading but unfortunately its still there.

Tried the second, but it 'skips over' it with a paragraph marker above and below, can't seem to select that line.
    Hi Zelta,

Try this:
    1. Place your cursor on the line above your black line.
    2. On your Formatting toolbar, look for the icon for Borders (to me, it looks like an old-fashioned windowpane)
    3. Click on the drop-down arrow
    4. Choose the icon that looks like it's made of all dots.

Your line should be gone now.

Barbarah
    dirk-jan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Zelta,

Here is what helped for me:

- Place the cursor just below the horizontal line
    - Press Backspace

To my surprise this helped, I expected it to never go...

Greets,
    DJ

PS: by the way this was a line I created myself by typing '---' and Enter, but nonetheless it started multiplying itself when I typed and Entered near it...
    michduck Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2007, 03:08 AM
    I had this problem as well and it is very annoying. My solution was as follows:

a) Highlight the entire document
    b) Go to Format - Styles and formatting
    c) Scroll down the list of available styles and choose Normal

That should fix it. The problem (for me at least) was happening because I had somehow chosen a style for the document that included a heavy horizontal line at the end. That was why I couldn't highlight it or delete it like a normal piece of text.
    chiffonade Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 07:47 AM
    I have switched off auto format as you type 'border lines' but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried highlighting it (though it never seems to be selectable) and going to borders and shading ,and clicking no border, but it still doesnt work.

I tried this several times to test it.

You MUST have your insertion point at the end of the line of text above the line you want to remove. SELECT from that spot to the beginning of the paragraph UNDER the horizontal line.

With that selection, click FORMAT, then BORDERS AND SHADING, then NONE.

CAVEAT:

IF, however, NONE is already selected, select the style of line just under the top selection. THEN click NONE.

The line should be gone.

It's this "conditional" success that caused me to put in the caveat.
    grooves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 09:14 AM
    Had this same problem and "MichDuck" had the answer in their post from Nov 20 2007. Thanks MichDuck. So simple & so logical.
    chrischampion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 04:27 AM
    THANKS Barbarah,

This was driving me crazy until I checked that setting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word 2003 slow down [ 3 Answers ]

I use XP Pro and Office 2003. After I completed a Windows Update and all patches completed Word 2003 runs like a dog for a couple of minutes. I can hear my hard drive working when I bring up a Word doc and delays affect my mouse movement until something times out and releases it. This goes on...

Horizontal Line in MS Word 2000 [ 13 Answers ]

How can I remove the Horizontal Line that goes completely across the page? How can I prevent it from happening again? I think there is something about holding down a key and pressing the "=" three times, but I cannot remember. Thanks.

Horizontal light line across center of screen [ 1 Answers ]

... this has happened several times in the past 2 days... I'll get a normal picture, then it will 'collapse' into one small horizontal line across the center of the screen. I turn the TV off, the picture returns, etc. This has happened several times. Does this mean the TV is dying? It's a Sanyo...

Word 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

How do you insert a table into word 2003?

Word 2003 problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Using word 2003 (office 2003) I created a document and saved it. While checking over the doc I noticed I made an mistake in the header. When I corrected the mistake the text was red and a vertical line appeared outside the header text box. When I printed the doc, the line printed. How can I...

View more questions Search