Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anishabatra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 01:03 AM
    Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns
    We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Normally, the states require you file using the same status you filed on the federal return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint Federal Return - separate state returns [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were legally separated for all of 2006. We know we can file a joint federal return but she needs to also file in Georgia. I lived and worked in Texas the entire year. Can we file a joint federal return and file it with the IRS, have her fill out a federal return as a single person...

How to file state tax returns while applying TIN for my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am applying ITIN for my wife along with my federal returns. How do I file tax returns for state - I have to file for MICHIGAN and MINNESOTA. I don't have much time left to wait till I receive TIN and then file the state returns. I want to know if I can file state returns without TIN or simply...

State and Federal tax returns - Itemized deductions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am Non-Resident alien from India and will file Federal tax return using 1040NR-EZ. Per Publication 519, there is provision to claim only itemized deductions by non-students from India (being non-resident alient, I cannot claim standard deduction). It also states itemized deductions...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

Federal tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my scenario - I was on F1 student visa from Aug 2002-July 2005 and on OPT after that. I started my H1B visa on Oct 1 2005. I went to India for about 3 weeks in Nov-Dec 2005. I have the following questions about my tax status - 1) Would I be filing the usual 1040NR-EZ and 8843...

View more questions Search