Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dougdlux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2015, 03:42 PM
    Why is my John Deer 102 Series riding lawn mower rear transmission not engaging?
    Recently gave our older riding lawn mower, John Deer 102 Series, to our grandmother because our grandfather passed and she wanted a riding mower. So my Uncle took the deck off, welded the brackets (they had been rusting off for a while) put the deck back on and the mower no longer drives. He couldn't get a belt to fit the deck either. I asked him what he changed, he said nothing. I went out and eventually realized that he put the brackets back on but they were in different holes on the bracket side... So I fixed that. That was also causing the deck to not be able to lower to the lowest height. Can't believe we let him work on it.

Anyway, about the transmission. When you put the brake in, put it in gear, release the brake, the mower does not move. After a few seconds it SLIGHTY engages and has a minimal stuttering crawl to it. A baby can crawl faster than it moves. So I jacked up the rear end and engaged the drive. I am able to hold one wheel ( either side) from rotating and then the other side will begin to rotate. So I hold the right side and the left side spins. If I hold the left side, the right side spins. If it is on the ground neither side spins. The belt and the pulley wheel above the transmission are both moving. So I decided to take the transmission off. I was going to open it but it is a sealed unit and extremely hard to open as I have found out lol. Once it was out I held one axle and spun the pulley and the other axle turns (either side). If I turn both axles in opposite directions the pulley sits still. If I turn both axles in the same direction, the pulley spins. So then I clamped down each axle and try spinning the pulley. When I spin the pulley and both axles are clamped then pulley will not spin and/or at least one side (right side predominantly) will spin with the clamp on it. Is the transmission bad? The belt seems fine. Everything engages properly, I feel like maybe the belt could bit a bit tighter but even then the belt and the pulley both spun when it was on the mower. Any thoughts?

Check out some similar questions!

What keeps my John Deere Riding Lawn Mower from engaging the blades [ 1 Answers ]

My John Deere Hydrostatic Mower will not engage the Mower Deck. It was working and when I mowed through some thick leaves it threw the belt off. I replaced the belt and can see and hear the mechanism move slightly to engage but not enough. What can I do to effect a repair? Is there a key way in...

Working on the underside of riding John Deer 100 series lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to work on the bottom of the John Deer 100 Series Riding lawn mower deck without taking the deck off? I have a bad foot and it is hard to take the deck off. My blade is stuck for some reason and I need a safe way to look at it and work on it. When I try to start the blade it...

John deere riding lawn mower starts, but the lawn mower transmission won't engage [ 1 Answers ]

My John Deere riding lawn mower worked fine, It got a flat tire so I removed the tire and fixed it. I then replaced the tire. The lawn mower will turn on, the blades will engage, but the transmission won't engage. I checked the rod in the back of the lawn mower and it was in. I pulled it out and...

John Deer Riding Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deer Riding Lawn Mower LX 173. It won't start. It ran fine last fall and I have a new battery on it. It will start with the help of starting fluid and run for just a second and then shut off. I found a hose disconnected on it but I'm not sure where it goes. It was laying...

John Deer riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old John Deer riding mower, 11HP engine (Model# 52707,Type 0228-01, Code 8110211).It starts great and runs fine, but after mowing grass with it for a little while it start to smoke from the bottom of the engine and starts leaking oil.Then it starts to loose power. Is the main oil seal...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.