Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2015, 06:42 AM
    Insurance Advice:
    New owner from India purchased a vacant lot. He had to cut down a 50 foot tree.
    He decided to hire a couple of handymen, with limited equipment and resources
    For $500.00. A professionals business said it cost $5,000 including grinding the branches.
    Now some of the tree limbs fell on the adjacent owner’s property causing some damage
    To her awning. Much more of the tree has yet to be taking down. There may be some additional damage. Whether these handymen have a permit, the lady doesn’t know?
    She has been taking pictures of the damage so far. Should she notify her insurance company now, or should she wait till further damage is done to her home.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2015, 03:36 PM
    Contact the Insurance now... but I would also get pictures of the vehicles they drive as well as photos of them as well. Some localitites require people frpm roving businesses such as these people doing business in the Town limits to have a license issues by that Town. Mine does.

I'd go over to the Town or city hall and have a talk with some people there about this now. They might skip out without resolving this and be difficult or impossible to find if she waits. Being patient and waiting too long could prove very costly in this situation. I bet they are not insured or even licensed, A lot of this type of businesses aren't and they go door to door knocking on doors to get business.

I actually know someone that hired one of these and they put a large limb through the roof (they were one of my neighbors in fact), they ended up having to pay for it themselves....can't get blood from a stone.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2015, 04:06 PM
    Thank you. The lady did talk with code inspector about the situation.
    Thanks for the advice. The man from India has a lot of businesses and also is an engineer. I guess he wanted to save a few bucks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2015, 04:10 PM
    My Neighbors own a successful business as well... was a hard lesson for them to learn too. If they skip out without paying she can sue the Landowner who hired them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 3, 2015, 04:13 PM
    Good luck to your friend. Repairing the damage to the neighbors house could be his responsibility and more costly than if he hired licensed/bonded professionals.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2015, 08:14 PM
    In the end, the land owner who hired the workers will be liable. She should talk to him, also and ask what his plans are for repairing her property of current damage and future damage. She should ask him for copies of his liability insurance and the workers liability insurance.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2015, 03:38 AM
    Very good advice to tell the lady. This gentleman from India proposes to build a house on this lot. The elderly lady lives on social security. Now we can give her wonderful advice. Thanks so much
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2016, 04:34 AM
    Here is an update. The lady had to take the man to Small Claims Court. She won and the judge awarded her monies. She is now looking for a handyman to do the work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2016, 05:05 AM
    Was she able to collect?
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2016, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Was she able to collect?
    Yes. She is very happy. He did not object. I wonder if she got her court cost back for filing $79.00 I forgot to ask her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium o [ 1 Answers ]

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium of $25,000. The agency billed the client for the policy and is entitled to a commission of 20%. How do I do an adjusting journal entry for this question? Will it have two parts to it?

Adjusting entries- paid 1,680 cash on one yr insurance and now one twelfth insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I'm processing a trial balance and adjusting the entries. The journal entry is for paid cash $1,680 on one year insurance effective March 1. The journal entry is debit prepaid insurance and credit cash. For the adjustment one twelfth of the insurance expired. Where is that posted on the...

Advice on possible insurance fraud [ 2 Answers ]

I know someone that lost a diamond out of her ring and submitted a claim and was paid for the insured amount. 8 months later the stone was found. The platimun setting is broken and requires $1200 to repair and reset the stone. The current value of the ring is greater than the old insured amount. ...

Prepaid insurance of rs15120 adjusted with current year's insurance charges [ 0 Answers ]

In tally accounts what is the journal entry of this transaction?

View more questions Search