Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tammerlot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2015, 04:20 PM
    Unmarried mothers right to move out of state with child
    What is a mothers right to move out of state with the child if she is not married
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 1, 2015, 04:29 PM
    This isnt an easy question to answer. First off do you have the fathers permission to move ? If not you may have to seek that permission. Another thing that we need to know is if there are any custody orders regaurding the child?

In theory you can move but if you dont tell the father and try hiding with the child you could be guilty of parental kidnapping. Another thing is that you could move and the father of the child files for custody forcing the return of the child and possibly also you.

It is much more complicated then just can I move or not.

WHat is going on in your case and was the child born in the State that you live in now ? If not how long have you resided in that State ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2015, 08:14 PM
    Not being married, does not take away any of the fathers rights.
    Is there a child support agreement, is there a custody or child visit agreement, is so, all of these have to be considered.

Even if there is no custody agreement, if you move, the child's father can file an emergancy order in court, to order the child returned since his rights are being violated by your move. This assumes you and the father live in the same state currently.

So this is very complicated and can vary on what the current status is, and what the father may or may not do, if you leave.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2015, 07:01 AM
    Not being married has no bearing on the issue. A father has rights whether married to the mother or not. But we need more info to answer.
    First, is the father on the birth certificate or has been legally established as the father? What state are you currently in? Has there been any court orders establishing visitation rights?

Bottom line if you leave without the father's permission, he may be able to go to court forcing you to return the child.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2015, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Bottom line if you leave without the father's permission, he may be able to go to court forcing you to return the child.
    Yes, but in general OP should be aware that (unless there is a child custody case pending) there is no law prohibiting the mother from taking the child to another state. And "parental kidnapping" laws vary from state to state. Thus whether she must notify the father or not in order to avoid guilt for such a crime (and whether she is prohibited from "hiding" the child from him) will depend upon the state law.

If she does move the child to another state, and if a custody suit is not already pending, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act determines which state the courts of which have jurisdiction to decide custody. Generally, if the child is in the new state for six months or more after the move, that state then becomes the child's "home state", the courts of which which will have exclusive jurisdiction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried mothers right to move from Nevada [ 4 Answers ]

Can an unmarried mother move out of Nevada with her child against the will of the father

Unmarried parental rights with father wanting to move the child out of state? [ 3 Answers ]

How about if that is switched? The child was born in Indiana. Both parents are on the birth certificate and went to live with the mother's brother in Texas. After being there a year, the father wants to bring the child back to Indiana. The child (who is only 7) also wants to come back to...

Unwed Mothers right to move out of State (unborn child) [ 3 Answers ]

What rights does a mother have to move out of state for her unborn child? It would be from California to Maryland. Paternity has not been proven. Thank you

CA unmarried, cohabitating -- mom threatens to move out of state with child [ 32 Answers ]

I have been cohabiting (not married) with the mother for 10 years, our daughter is 4 y/o. I signed a voluntary declaration of paternity (pop-dec) when the child was born, my name is on birth certificate, and positive paternity on a DNA test. We are still living together, and the mom...

Unmarried Mother Rights to move out of State [ 13 Answers ]

I am a California Resident and have a 14 month old son who was born and is being raised with me in California. I currently live with my boyfriend who is also the father of my son. The relationship is not a good place for me and I have been very unhappy for over a year. I pay for half of our rent,...

View more questions Search