Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jun 30, 2015, 01:20 PM
    Streaming Video Keeps Freezing on PC
    I'm trying to catch up on some missed TV episodes on the USANetwork.com. Every few minutes the picture freezes, while the "circular loading arrow" rotates, sometimes for several minutes. My internet download speed is over 21Mbps. It's a Windows 7, 64 bit machine, with 16GB of RAM.

From what I can tell in Task Manager, the problem is the CPU maxing out at 100%. The only 2 Processes that are using any significant processor power are Firefox and Adobe Flash Player, both of which seem to be needed to play the video.

It works fine on my 2nd PC with similar specs, where the CPU runs between 25-40%. The memory usage for these 2 processes is about the same on both PCs.

I read about "Re-Buffering" and have experienced that on YouTube videos, etc. where the buffer progress bar is just ahead of the video play progress bar. (Sorry, but I don't know the correct terminology here). This USA Network streaming video doesn't "seem" to have a buffer at all. At least I can't see one in the progress bar, even on pause.

I'm not sure if I have an actual problem, or just not enough processor power/speed to play these videos.

Any suggestions..? This is incredibly irritating to watch.

Thank you all.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 30, 2015, 01:30 PM
    Try using Google Chrome instead of FF for streaming.

Jun 30, 2015, 01:43 PM
    Can you please elaborate why Google Chrome would work better? I'd like to understand.

Does it still require Adobe Flash Player?

Thank you very much.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 30, 2015, 01:52 PM
    Works much better with rich content.

Jun 30, 2015, 01:54 PM
    Thanks so much CB. I'll try it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 30, 2015, 06:39 PM
    Also sometimes when content is in full HD it can have hicups. You might try to see what your settings are and if they are 1080p try running in 720 and it should run smoothly.

Jun 30, 2015, 06:54 PM
    Thanks cdad. Are you referring to the display resolution of the PC, or the resolution of the streaming content?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 1, 2015, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    Thanks cdad. Are you referring to the display resolution of the PC, or the resolution of the streaming content?
    Resolution of the content. There should be a tool to tweak it with at the bottom of the screen.

Jul 1, 2015, 03:52 PM
    That would be great. Unfortunately the only settings available for this site are for Closed Captions, and Adobe Flash Player, which just lets me enable/disable Hardware Acceleration. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any resolution options. :-(

...Through Self Discovery | Videos | Satisfaction | USA Network

Jul 2, 2015, 07:00 AM
    Update: Problem Solved.

Switching to Google Chrome did the trick. Adblock Plus eliminated the annoying "mandatory" commercials.

Thank you all for your kind assistance...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to do IIS video streaming [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to see the streamed content on web browser with the URL http://localhost:1234/default.html but getting an error stating "Could not open media file http://localhost:1234/default.html requires output to be hosted on a web server running IIS 7.0 with the smooth streaming handler installed...

How to capture video streaming ? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, There is a short video clip that can only viewed online(doesn't work with right click "save as"), however, I wish to capture the video clip down. When I clicked the file, it prompted realone player... I have tried some shareware video capture program but it just show blank... any help ?...

Streaming video [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Lately, whenever I try to access a video on the internet (like through MSN newcasts) the video and audio come through OK but the video is all washed out and faded almost colorless. This just started happening recently. I'm using a broadband connection for...

View more questions Search