Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2015, 07:09 AM
    G1 visa holder and US Citizen selling home property
    Hello,
    My husband (US Citizen) and I (G1 visa holder) are planning to sell our property in NYC.
    We would like to know about the capital gain and thus taxes involved especially for me as G1 Visa holder.
    May it be more convenient to change the deed and put the property under my husband's name to void a high payment of taxes.
    Thanks and regards,
    Simona
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 29, 2015, 07:26 AM
    Please read this and then ask if you have more questions. The $250,000/$500,000 Home Sale Tax Exclusion | Nolo.com
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 29, 2015, 07:36 AM
    Joy makes a valid point.

Because your husband is a U.S. citizen, you have the option to file joint tax returns while still excluding your salary earned under the G-1 visa.

That being the case, it is likely you qualify for the $500K exclusion of capital gains on real estate sales provided you lived in the home for at least two of the last five years.
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2015, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Please read this and then ask if you have more questions. The $250,000/$500,000 Home Sale Tax Exclusion | Nolo.com
    Many thanks for the answer.
    I read the link you sent me and the last paragraph reads that as married couples we have to meet ALL the requirements listed which we do, but there is only one thing, we never filed a joint return in the past as we were told that I didn't have to file here because of my G1 visa.
    We always filed separately. My husband in the US, me in Italy.
    Would this be a problem to be qualified for the $500K exclusion?

Thank you,
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Joy makes a valid point.

Because your husband is a U.S. citizen, you have the option to file joint tax returns while still excluding your salary earned under the G-1 visa.

That being the case, it is likely you qualify for the $500K exclusion of capital gains on real estate sales provided you lived in the home for at least two of the last five years.
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,

Thank you for your answer.
    I just sent another question related to the link I received which you refer to, which I'm sending to you as well.

The last paragraph reads that as married couples we have to meet ALL the requirements listed which we do, but we never filed a joint return in the past as we were told that I didn't have to file here because of my G1 visa.
    We always filed separated. My husband in the US, me in Italy.
    Would this be a problem to be qualified for the $500K exclusion?

Thank you,
    S.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 29, 2015, 08:44 AM
    Simbrial,

It will not make any difference because you can file jointly in the year you sell the property.

You may want to look at amending your husband's 2012, 2013 and 2014 tax returns to file jointly under the 6013(g) election; some significant refunds can be recovered under such amendments provided you do not have significant OTHER world-wide income.

If you need help filing such amendments, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen employing a B1 visa holder from Hong Kong [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen who worked in Hong Kong for a period. I have since returned to the US and brought a domestic worker back with me and they are here on a B1 visa. My question is two fold. The first is they are waiting on the arrival of their social security number and were unable to obtain an...

Russian/US citizen selling a property in Russia tax implications [ 6 Answers ]

I am a US citizen of russian origin. I am selling my ancestral house in russia for about $350,000. Due to Perestroika we all got properties from communists into ownership for free. There is no way to calculate capital gain. Can I claim that this is my primary home? I have lived in the States for...

You.S. Citizen selling property abroad and wishing to send money home to family [ 2 Answers ]

I, being the family here and also a U.S. citizen, need to know if there are any tax's that can be expected of me or forms that I may need to file. Amount will be just over 100,000 dollars.

L1 visa holder is marriyng us citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a question. Right now I'm an L1 visa holder living and working in US and at the same time I'm engaged to us citizen. Do I need to file any additional paperwork for our marriage and how can I become a citizen too or get the right to stay here if I would want to get rid off my L1...

Whether to leave assets to US citizen or G4 visa holder [ 3 Answers ]

My father in law has an estate in VA worth about $500K and would like to leave it to the relative with the least tax impact. He and his wife are GC holders and his wife does not live in the US. She is also not interested in the estate. My wife and I are G4 visa holders, while our children are...

View more questions Search