Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VortexOfTheVoid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2015, 03:41 PM
    Hello, can anyone help me with this puzzle?
    Change as few characters as possible in the following sentence to make it correct:

The number 99 916 804 is equivalent to 11.

*Note: You cannot add or remove any characters within the sentence.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2015, 04:48 PM
    Change 804 to 806. 916-806-99=11
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 29, 2015, 01:20 PM
    How about:

The number 99+916-804 is equivalent to211.

Requires changing the first space character in the number to +, the second space to -, and change the space before the 11 to 2.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 29, 2015, 01:25 PM
    Pready, that doesn't work very well unless you swap the numbers around. And since you can't say -99+916-806 without losing the space between "number" and "99", I think the better way is to change the 916 to 716. Then you can write "The number 99+716-804 is equivalent to 11." Like your solution, only three characters changed, but there's no rearranging necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puzzle Rings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi There, Does anybody know where I can find 925 solid silver puzzle rings? I am looking to buy for my store at wholesale prices. Thanks

A Puzzle [ 28 Answers ]

This puzzles me. (I know, that's not too difficult) Headline in Tyler newspaper: Obama declares H1N1 a national emergency. From statistics I've heard, and comments from doctors, H1N1 is no more dangerous than the seasonal flu. So why all the hullaballoo? Is this merely a diversion so we...

Pieces to the puzzle [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Edna and I’d like to help my boyfriend find his biological mother. Hopefully someone may have some information on his family. Anything would be greatly appreciated. This is what we know: He was born in 1966 at Homer Folks Hospital in Oneonta, New York. His mother’s name is Pearl Black...

Word puzzle [ 8 Answers ]

Can you figure out what this says? 10926

Thunderbird puzzle [ 2 Answers ]

I received an email on Thunderbird with an URL for a Flicker Photo Album. But it will not open. I forwarded it to my other computer also with Thunderbird and it opened straight away. I can not find the reason why it will not open on the first computer. Does anybody know the answer to this problem...

View more questions Search