Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GEORGEMARSHALL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2015, 03:06 PM
    Seeking My CDL + Employment
    I am A convicted fellon in need of employment First I need to obtain my CDL. I have no money due to recent bad luck cant even pay my bills. I am a hard worker. How can I get this CDL and pay it back later?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 28, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Try theEducationConnection.com, but I think you will find that money isn't given to anyone, felon or otherwise, for CDL school. Your best bet is working in the building trades for a while and save some money.

Saving takes sacrifice. I save $5,000 year by not smoking and making all coffees at home for about 10 cents a cup. No bars, no pot, not even take out pizza. Boring but that's what you have to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2015, 01:20 AM
    You contact different CDL schools and see if any of them offer financing on the school. They may require someone to sign for you. Also talk to them frankly about your conviction, since most of the major haulers may not hire ex felons with certain records. I know around Atlanta most of the ex felons ended up working for small regional carriers or local hauling
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2015, 06:25 AM
    Much will depend on the felony and how much time has passed. As was said, contact different truck driving schools... some offer assistance and there is a government program some people have received grants from. Again, the conviction may be a factor in preventing your consideration.

Some trade schools also offer truck driving training to help you be able to pass the tests for your license.

Check online website for trucking companies. Some do offer training in exchange for driving for them. The fees come out of your paychecks.
    They will have you go through a recruiter and you can find out how the felony will effect your opportunities. I know, for example, a few specify it would have to have been more than 10 years ago. It can be difficult because of insurance issues.

Smaller companies may be the only option. Who knows, from there you might eventually get into a bigger company for over the road driving or even consider a goal of obtaining your own authority some day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recent cdl-a graduate w/felony seeking an opportunity w/trucking company. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a recent cdl-a graduate who asks for a 2nd chance to be a productive person of society. My conviction was 20 years ago and seek anopportunity with trucking companies who are willing to hire a recent cdl-a graduate with a felony on his record. What major carriers are giving ex-felons a 2nd...

Is there help seeking employment with a felony on your record [ 6 Answers ]

I am seeking employment and have a felony every where I go I get turned away is there anything I can do... I am about to loose everything I have with no job no money I desperatly need HELP

Police record in seeking employment [ 5 Answers ]

I was investigated for shoplifting but released with a warning without charge. Dose it mean my charge is dismissed? Do I need to declare this when seeking employment in future.

Disorderly behaviour -implications on seeking employment [ 10 Answers ]

I pleaded guilty of 2C:20-11b(2) shoplifting, which was downgraded to disorderly behaviour(Twp.Ord.129-13) early 2006 and just paid a fine (in state of NJ). I am offered a new job now and my employer does compliant background screening as a contingency for employment. What are the chances that I...

View more questions Search