Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamaRoc25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Can I do homeschooling online
    I need to know if I can do homeschooling online cause I can't take going to school everyday I have to many resonsiblities
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 16, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaRoc25
    I need to know if i can do homeschooling online cause i can't take going to school everyday i have to many resonsiblities
    The specifics depend on what state you live in. in Pennsylvania where I live you will need a parent to oversee your program, you cannot have anyone with a felony conviction living in the home, and have to have the program ok'ed by a teacher who has taught at least 2 of the last 10 years. As for an online program, yes there are many to choose from, but they all have cost involved. Some programs like cyberschools are like watching school on video and doing your work, then sending it in to be graded. Other programs are on the computer but not online. In these your parent would monitor your progress and do the grading. One thing about homeschool is that unless you enroll in a diploma program, you will test for the ged and receive a ged diploma. Diploma programs offer their own diploma but they require certain subjects be taken in order to receive the diploma. I would be happy to answer any more questions you may have on the subject. If you do want more info, let me know what state you are in and what grade you would be beginning with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 07:00 PM
    A child can not just decide and do it on their own, in home schooling your parent is your teacher and is in charge of your education.

And I will disagree with krittengirl slightly the requirements will depend on the what type of program you are taking in most cases all that is required to home school in Pennsylvania is just a high school dipolma.
    Pennsylvania is one of those states where school boards have been known to lie to parents and not tell them the truth about their rights to home shchool so they give a lot of false info that people pick up.
    HSLDA | Home School Laws

Also no home school children do not have to test for the GED that is just a falsehood completely, they do have to in program one sit for the 3 , 4 and 8 grade standardised testing. But in program 2 and 3 they don't even have to do that.

I don't mean to sound mean but please you may be happy to answer questions Krittengirl but provide the right answers if you do

One of your parents would have to devote a lot of time to this.
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 17, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Actually I am correct in what the regulations are for Pennsylvania. I have been homeschooling my children in Pennsylvania for quite a few years now. I have completely read the state laws and am up to date on what legislation is currently before our lawmakers. I am in an area that has a lot of homeschoolers and homeschool groups. I have many friends who homeschool their family as well. I am not giving incorrect information as FR_Chuck insinuates. A high School Diploma is all the school level that your parent must be required to have in order to administrate your program, but the part about felony convictions is accurate as well (see pa SESSION OF 1988 Act 1988-169 1321, Section 1327.1. ---"The affidavit shall contain a certification to be signed by the supervisor that the supervisor, all adults living in the home and persons having legal custody of a child or children in a home education program have not been convicted of the criminal offenses enumerated in subsection (e) of section 111 within five years immediately preceding the date of the affidavit. ") Here is a link to the law itself CHAP - Read the Law. Here you will find all the specifics of homeschooling in Pennsylvania. As to the GED requirement, if you decide not to attend college, then you must have a GED if you are not in a diploma program and want to be able to show on Job applications (ect.. ) that you have graduated from High School. Like I said before I am willing to answer any questions you have on this topic.:)
    LadyToni Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Jul 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krittengirl View Post
    Actually I am correct in what the regulations are for Pennsylvania. I have been homeschooling my children in Pennsylvania for quite a few years now. I have completely read the state laws and am up to date on what legislation is currently before our lawmakers. I am in an area that has a lot of homeschoolers and homeschool groups. I have many friends who homeschool their family as well. I am not givin incorrect information as FR_Chuck insinuates. A high School Diploma is all the school level that your parent must be required to have in order to administrate your program, but the part about felony convictions is accurate as well (see pa SESSION OF 1988 Act 1988-169 1321, Section 1327.1. ---"The affidavit shall contain a certification to be signed by the supervisor that the supervisor, all adults living in the home and persons having legal custody of a child or children in a home education program have not been convicted of the criminal offenses enumerated in subsection (e) of section 111 within five years immediately preceding the date of the affidavit. ") Here is a link to the law itself CHAP - Read the Law. Here you will find all the specifics of homeschooling in Pennsylvania. As to the GED requirement, if you decide not to attend college, then you must have a GED if you are not in a diploma program and want to be able to show on Job applications (ect..) that you have graduated from High School. Like I said before I am willing to answer any questions you have on this topic.:)
    It depends on the state you are living in. Some require more some less of the parent. Your best bet is to check with your Board of Education to see what is required. A parent is ALWAYS going to be needed to supervise the study program. The law in GA is different from PA and that is different from TN it just depends on where you are.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 09:08 PM
    Have your parent contact your school district to set up a meeting that both of you can attend. Listen to all of the requirements for each of you and decide if it is what you want. Good luck making an informed decision! I hope you do well in whatever you decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeschooling [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a paper for my college english class on the adantages and disadvantages of homeschooling. I was homeschooled and also attended some public school. I would like responses from people who have been homeschooled not people who only have an opinion on the topic Thanks

Homeschooling a k student [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken my son out of the public school and desided to homeschool wich books and where would I go to get them are the best?:o

Online degrees [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I'm new to this site... I'm wondering if anyone knows about a good online accredited college or university?. I'm interested in the medical field.

Homeschooling [ 34 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know more about the disadvantages of homeschooling. I am doing a letter to the editor for a school assessment task and I need to find as many disadvantages as possible. If you can help please respond.

View more questions Search