Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Velazang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2015, 08:12 PM
    I'm 16 and want to be adopted
    Hello
    I'm 16 years old and was wondering if I could be adopted ast this age or taken in to the foster care system. Abuse has not been taken in by any case, but I do not feel compfortable with my birth family.

If you know any information on how I can be adopted, please answer or if you have any questions.
    Thank you
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 24, 2015, 08:28 PM
    You cannot be adopted voluntarily. Your parents would have to place you up for adoption. Should that happen, at 16, you will age out of the system before adoption is final.

Most people want to adopt babies or very young children. If you aren't comfortable in your own home, you certainly will not be comfortable in foster care.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 25, 2015, 07:47 AM
    It doesn't work that way. I don't know any prospective adoptive parents that go "Hey, I really want to adopt a teenager instead of an infant or small child!"

If people DID say that, there would be a lot fewer kids in foster care waiting for a forever home.

You HAVE a forever home. And I hate to say this, because I'm sure you've heard it before--a LOT of people didn't feel like they fit in with their birth family when they were teenagers. There's something about being a teenager that honestly makes you feel like you don't really fit anywhere--changing parents isn't going to fix that. You have to figure out how to change yourself.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2015, 08:00 AM
    Let me get this straight. You are uncomfortable with your real family, and think being with a new family of strangers is better? May I suggest getting ready to take care of yourself in the two short years until you are an official adult then you won't need to be adopted.

What could your parents do to make you feel more comfortable? What are you looking for and what makes you think you will get it from another family?

Be careful what you wish for my young friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I be adopted? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. Everything is going bad. My mom is always in my business telling I'm doing things I'm not and that is the same reason why my father left because of her and I can't take it anymore. I feel like I'm living by myself in this house. She never really talk to us (me and my...

Am I adopted? [ 4 Answers ]

Apparently I never seen my birth certificated or photos of me there is only one me being 3 years old I got different name from my parents I never feel right mum doesn't talk about me being born

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

View more questions Search