Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manikandan83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 09:43 PM
    claim tution fee
    Hi , this is mani, and I am a new member of this group.

I filed my tax for the year 2006 using 1040nr-ez and got the tax refund, thinking that since I am from india(non-resident) I should file this form. I am in F1(student) status .

But I am not able to claim my tution fee in 1040nr-ez form, one of my friend he filed using 1040a form and he got his tuition fee deduction. I want to claim my tution fee also.

so is there a way that I can file 1040a again specifying my tution fee instead of 1040NR-EZ ?

or should I file 1040X form ?

To be short I want to claim my tution fee now...

fyi - I got the tax refund amount back for the 1040NR-EZ

Thanks,
    mani
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Mani:

If you were an Indian student on F-1 visa, YOU filed correctly.

Your friend did not and he should correctly his return, filing Form 1040X with a correctly-prepared Form 1040NR-EZ. He will HAVE to pay back the tuition credit he received, because, as a non-resident alien on a F-1 visa, he IS NOT ENTITLED to claim the tuition credit.

The IRS is cracking down on this, and he can get into some significant trouble if he fails to fix this problem. Please inform him of this fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to claim tution fees for elementary school kid. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending my 4th grade son to sylvan tutoring classes as he needs some help with language arts, when I enrolled him they said I can claim this in taxes and gave their tax id too, ( I didn't request). But when I was filing my taxes online - I see the options only for college going kids. Can...

May I claim for the tution fee in 1040NR-EZ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in spring 2005 on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040A for 2005 online and claimed hope credit and got all my tax for that year refunded. Now I picked up form 1040NR-EZ, in which there was a question asking me which form did I use for last year. My total wages is 15335...

Can I claim Tax credit for paying wife's tution on H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am on H1-b visa since last 2 years and my wife is on h-4. My wife went to school during 2006 and I paid the tution for her. I called up the university to get a 1098T form but the university denied as she is on H-4. So my question is whether I can claim her tution fees as a deductible while...

Tax credit for paying wife's tution (who is on H4) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, - I am on H1B and my wife on H4. - I have been working in the state of Illinois from Nov 2004, so I have filled my taxes for year 2004 & 2005. - I have paid my wife's tuition for here college (M.S degree) in 2005 & I have also paid his year. (she is still on H4 visa) Would I be...

F1 to H1 and Tution Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a NR for tax purposes (1040NR or NR EZ), so can I claim credit for tution fees that I paid in 2005? Thanks.

View more questions Search