Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2015, 06:37 PM
    Hammer drill
    Bought a hammer drill today. Set it on drill and it works great. Set it on the hammer setting, and I can't tell any difference at all. In other words, it just spins like a drill on both settings. Is the hammer action supposed to be pretty noticeable?

Might mention that I have never even seen one in use.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 22, 2015, 07:43 PM
    Is the hammer action supposed to be pretty noticeable?
    It is.

Check the setting Probably didn't turn the collar far enough.
    What is the brand?
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2015, 04:57 AM
    Bostitch. It has a switch on the top. Push to the left for drill, and to the right for hammer. Pretty plain.

I really don't intend intend to use the hammer function that much, but since it's new, it ought to work.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2015, 05:41 AM
    I have a Ryobi. Mine does the same until you put pressure against the drill bit for it to "hammer". The heavier pressure engages the rotating hammers. This uses S & D shank drill bits? They are great tools, right through brick, slabs.
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2015, 08:11 AM
    Yep. That's exactly the case, 41. When I put it against an object, then it was plainly hammering. Has to have some pressure on the chuck to be able to hear the sound.

Thanks, guys. Glad I didn't take it back and try to swap it for a new one. WMart would have done so, but I sure would have felt foolish afterwards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hammer Drill Mode [ 4 Answers ]

On the harbor freight hammer drill. I know the hammer symbol means it is in the hammer mode. Question is when you push the button in on your left side is it in the hammer mode or if you press it in on the right side. Confusing

Masonry bits and hammer drill [ 2 Answers ]

Used masonry bits in my hammer drill for cement. One had a hex end for fast release type. Did not work well. Used a regular masonry bit, but that too seems hard to drill holes. Maybe there is a special drill bits for hammer drills. Maybe I have it in the wrong mode There is a button that you...

Hammer drill [ 2 Answers ]

Hammer drill. As an example would I have to drill a hole In this thin board with a regular drill. Remove the board and drill The hole in the cement using the hammer drill and then place The anchor. Or can I use the hammer drill right through the board into The cement all in one shot,...

View more questions Search