Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EJOYNER102803 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Husband wants to adopt step-son
    My son is 5 years old and his biological father is in jail and has been since I was 6 months pregnant. My new husband came into our lives when he was 10 months old and has since been his only father. Well after many years of discussing it we have decided for him to adopt him and my son legally be his. HOWEVER the boys bio father still has his rights is there anyway for me to take them away from him so that my husband can adopt him. PLEASE HELP IN ANYWAY! Thanks. Ohh and we are in Mississippi I don't know how laws very from state to state.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 10, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Usually there would not. But being in jail maybe. Basically a person has to be proven an unfit parent and it established that they will likely stay that way.
    He may go along. The first step it to ask him, either way you will need a lawyer. So you might as well go on and shell out the 100$ for a consult.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Hello E:

I don't believe you can TAKE them away from him, but he certainly might give them up if he's asked.

If it was me, and somebody was trying to TAKE something from me, even if I didn't want it, I'd fight for it. Ain't nobody taking nothing from me!

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2007, 05:51 AM
    As noted its very difficult to take parental rights away. You would have to prove that the bio father repsents a danger to your son. And being in jail, alone doesn't qualify.

However, since you want to do this to have him adopted by his stepdad, you might find a sympathetic court. So either contact an attorney or petititon your local family court. They will advise how to proceed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Yes all you can do is try, you get an atttorney and file a motion to take away the fathers rights, It will be up to the court. I have "heard" but not first hand knowledge but some people come here and report they won, others that they lost, so I guess tit is just a maybe.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 11, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Well I would like to point out that a piece of paper is not going to change the way your kid feels about his step-father. Children are smarter than we give them credit for, and they know who loves them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
    And let me add, it is great that your new husband wants to do this, It is a honor to be a father, and no matter what happens, a father is the person who cares for and raises the child, no matter the legal status of a sperm donor. Men like him need a great big thank you for taking on thie responsibility and wanting to be there for a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. The...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 2 Answers ]

I live in louisana with my son, my husband, and my daughter. I am looking into my husband adopting my son. His father and I were never married and have a court order for visitations and child support. He has not seen our son in almost two years or paid child support in almost the same time. I got...

My husband wants to adopt my 3 year old son [ 1 Answers ]

My son's biological father was physically and mentally abusive to me and my son I left him and filed an order of protection against him I haven't seen or made contact with him since, now it has been almost three years and I recently married my husband and he wants to adopt my son is there any way...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son and my husband is not his father,but his real father didn't want anything to do with him so I got sole custody of him ,but now since he didn't pay his child support the courts sent us papers saying we have to go to court for support violation!now his father is playing games ...

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. ...

View more questions Search