Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grandma76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2015, 11:15 AM
    Adopting my daughter's baby
    My daughter is 5 months pregnant and wants me to adopt her baby. She would like to start the process before the birth but I'm not sure how to go about doing this any help would be great.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2015, 12:46 PM
    Adoption laws are different in every state if you are in the United States. For everyone's protection you really need an attorney who specializes in adoptions. Most states if not all have a lawyer referral service that is administered by the state's bar. The initial consultation is cheap, generally about $20 or $25 and there's no obligation after that unless you make one. It does take two to make a child so the father, regardless of how he feels now, will have to consent to giving up his child too.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2015, 06:00 PM
    Oliver 2011 is dead on. The father, if known, MUST be involved before any state will agree to an adoption.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2015, 12:51 AM
    And there is not a lot you can do, prior to baby being born, You can consult the attorney. The father will need to sign permission for adoption. And/or an attempt to find the father if unsure.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2015, 07:22 AM
    Is she sure about this? Once an adoption is complete, she will have no legal rights to the child. She can't take the child back. Wouldn't giving you legal custody be a better option?

But the way to go about this is to consult a Family law attorney. As previously noted, the father will have to consent to the adoption. Even if she isn't sure who the father is, she must have some idea and the court will require that she inform each potential father and have DNA testing done to actually determine paternity. The father could, potentially, fight against you adopting the child. And he might have a better claim for custody than you would.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 24, 2015, 12:18 PM
    The FIRST thing that should happen is that you get your daughter to a counselor, one specializing in adoption issues. This is a bigger choice, with bigger repercussions than most people realize.

If she decides that it IS the best course, the father needs to be on board with it as well.

You really should have an attorney for the process. You wouldn't set a bone without a doctor, you shouldn't go through the adoption process without an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm getting married and my future husband wants to adopt my 8 year old daughter but I don't know who her father is so how do we go about it

Adopting my daughter [ 3 Answers ]

How could my husband adopt my daughter in order to have paternity right. Does my daughters biological father has to agree with the process although its been a year he hasn't seen her but he is in the birth certificate.

Adopting my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could help me out I would like to know how & how hard it is for my husband to be able to adpot my daughter? My daughter's bioloical father is on the birth certificate,I live in albert,canada but her biological father only comes around once every few months & has just...

Adopting my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to know if my husband can legally adopt my daughter. Her biological father.. I call him her "sperm donor" has not been in my life since I was 2 months pregnant & he has never been in hers. I have no idea where he is.. no social security #.. nothing... I tried to get legal full custody...

Adopting my Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt our three year old child. Her biological father is not part of her life due to legal reasons and the nature of a crime. I have been notified via email by him that he wants nothing to do with her and that he does not consider her his child. When I gave birth to her I ...

View more questions Search