Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jun 19, 2015, 09:33 AM
    Firefox restarts
    Periodically Firefox will close and then restart. I've been unable to identify a reason for this. Neither Chrome or IE has ever closed on their on.

Anyone know of a reason for this?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2015, 09:50 AM
    Sounds like a simple crash to me.
    What have you been doing when this happens ?
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jun 19, 2015, 09:59 AM
    Reading news, internet searches, Firefox is open in the background while I'm using another program (no consistency as to which one.) I've yet to identify a connection between my actions and Firefox closing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2015, 07:53 PM
    When you say it happens, how often, maybe once a week ? Or a couple times a month.
    My son and I both use it also, and we have it happen, about twice a month. Normally when I am doing "a lot" on it.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jun 28, 2015, 04:39 PM
    Firefox updates itself with intermittent small added on fixes, something may have screwed up. Download the latest full install then uninstall the present and reinstall new. I always make note of what addons and extensions I'm using prior to uninstalling and go get them right after installation. If you don't do too much with configuration settings you can remove the Mozilla folder as well after uninstalling to reset everything. Sometimes uninstalling doesn't take everything in the directory with it. If offered a clean install take it.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 29, 2015, 07:18 AM
    Hi!

I use Firefox a lot, and I have this issue. What I know is that Firefox is a 32bit program, so far as I know they haven't release a 64bit windows client, but this means that Firefox can only address or allocate up to 4gb of ram. It usually gets to about 60% of that and then crashes. Firefox, and some of it's popular addons like adblock, have severe memory problems, or memory leaks. So when a you open and close a page your system will have a bunch of allocate and unreachable ram. When it gets to a certain level it will crash. It happens to me about every three or four days. Chrome doesn't do it for me. I don't use IE because... well it's IE.

I hate to say that it's normal operating procedure for Firefox, but it kind of is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer restarts [ 1 Answers ]

What is trouble of computer restart always after an openning of a program

Heater comes on runs8 seconds shuts off; restarts for 8 seconds ;stops; restarts [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced 24 volt control xformer; new sequencer;elemets check good. What else to check?

Firefox crashed, I deleted, trying to make IE default to download Firefox again [ 0 Answers ]

I had some virus problems that I fixed. I went to Firefox to open it up but it would not open up saying that it crashed unexpectedly and I had to send report which I did. I tried fixing it but did not work. So I uninstalled Firefox thinking I would be able to go to Internet explorer and download...

Pc restarts, strange observation! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I hve Win XP installed on my system. The problem I am facing is that as the system is booting up, it just restarts. When I choose SAFE mode while booting, restart doesn't happen. I have also reinstalled the windows but problem is still intact. Can anyone help me. Thanks, Mandeep

Window Xo restarts itself [ 1 Answers ]

:oi am using win98 and win xp together. Win98 on C drive and win xp on D drive. For few days when I open win xp it starts and then computer closes and restarts automatically. This time it says that the computer was not closed properly and option of safe mode, start previous configuration and...

View more questions Search